Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Smart Shopping

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:34 AM
  • 10 Replies

How do you keep your gift buying from getting out of control this time of year?

spa robe

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaVoo
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 6:36 AM

I almost went overboard but the hubby kept me in check.. small things I dont even think to ask him but I watch the bank account but big stuff I do and he talked me out of it. We dont have very much and I wanted to try and get his sister a stroller/car seat combo(she is due the week after me) but it wasnt feasible :(

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Is there a friend or family member that would go halfsies on the gift with you?

Quoting MommaVoo:

I almost went overboard but the hubby kept me in check.. small things I dont even think to ask him but I watch the bank account but big stuff I do and he talked me out of it. We dont have very much and I wanted to try and get his sister a stroller/car seat combo(she is due the week after me) but it wasnt feasible :(

MommaVoo
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I was wracking my brain to think of someone but not that I know. Her mom is REALLY tight for money atm and I dont know any of her friends except one who just found out her hubby wants a divorce >.< Its basically like the worst time ever for wanting to do this :( I know she wasn't 100% sold on the color of the one on sale anyways so its not like it was the ONE she wanted.. I just hate that we cant help them.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Quoting MommaVoo:

CafeMom Tickers
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Maybe give her a gift card for what you can do.  That would cover part of it.

Quoting MommaVoo:

I was wracking my brain to think of someone but not that I know. Her mom is REALLY tight for money atm and I dont know any of her friends except one who just found out her hubby wants a divorce >.< Its basically like the worst time ever for wanting to do this :( I know she wasn't 100% sold on the color of the one on sale anyways so its not like it was the ONE she wanted.. I just hate that we cant help them.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Quoting MommaVoo:

MommaVoo
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:30 AM

she wants gift cards for a different store and yea I planned to do what I can later. I just hate seeing the really good deal go by without being able to help her get it. I already sent a box of clothes, decorative burp rags, a snuggie blanket and am sending a bottle warmer home(she actually needs it lol) with my MIL when she leaves from coming out for our baby's birth.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting ScrChk23:

Quoting MommaVoo:

CafeMom Tickers
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Sounds like she has a very caring SIL who will take care of her.  :)

Quoting MommaVoo:

she wants gift cards for a different store and yea I planned to do what I can later. I just hate seeing the really good deal go by without being able to help her get it. I already sent a box of clothes, decorative burp rags, a snuggie blanket and am sending a bottle warmer home(she actually needs it lol) with my MIL when she leaves from coming out for our baby's birth.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Quoting MommaVoo:

MaineMammax2
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Easy, I don't have money to spend. No $= no going overboard. We have enough for our girls and the rest of the family we just do family meals with. From the beginning though we kept Christmas really small, 3-4 gifts each. We spread their wish list out throughout the grandparents so they get what they want most.
Mommy2-3181
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM

This year we starting doing 

want

need

wear

read

and family

That helped a lot and we really haven't spent to much and the kids got some good stuff

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I think a lot of people are going to this idea.  I love it!

Quoting Mommy2-3181:

This year we starting doing 

want

need

wear

read

and family

That helped a lot and we really haven't spent to much and the kids got some good stuff

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM
By making a list of what my kids want most and sticking to it. I pay attention for months to the things they want most on their list and only buy them the top two, the grandparenrs take care of the rest. I also adapted the want, need, wear and read (but we did a donate item since we have way too many books and all already have kindles).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)