Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Edit: Dollar store presents from a kid, okay or not? (He decided)

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM
  • 48 Replies
My six year old is all about giving this year...yay! Problem is he wants to get gifts for everybody. We can't afford that...but we can afford to take him to the dollar store and get presents. Is it okay for a kid to send out dollar store gifts...I have tried thinking up something he could make that would survive shipping but am at a loss.

Edit: After much thought and great suggestions from you ladies, he decided. Movie baskets. Popcorn and goodies, juice for the in town family and lemonade mix for the one I have to ship. My mom is taking us to Cosco. He remembered that's what we did for the sitter and her family last year and said let's do that again. Cheap and something I know all the family will enjoy. We went to two dollar stores and he just couldn't find anything.
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I think so! And it depends on what it is?

invisibleme
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes and if anyone has something to complain about they are just plain stupid.
theloudhouse
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I don't know yet what he wants to get. I'd try to steer him to something not crazy. But I so want to encourage him and this new phase.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

cshepard
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I used to do that with my kids. They wanted to buy gifts of their own for everybody, but I couldn't afford 20 gifts xs 2 kids extra. So we went to the dollar tree, it was cute seeing what they picked out!
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I think its wonderful!

Quoting theloudhouse:

I don't know yet what he wants to get. I'd try to steer him to something not crazy. But I so want to encourage him and this new phase.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

White ceramic plates/ mugs and sharpies.... Have him decorate themand then bake them (google).... It'll be "cheap" but special

cmjustice
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
If you're shipping, it's going to cost so much to ship it's really not worth it. Maybe spend a few extra bucks on what you would have spent on shipping and shop online somewhere with free shipping? He could pick out the gifts and for $5 or so, that person will get something that they might actually need or want.
theloudhouse
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Only be shipping to seven people. ..in one house. But it's far away. I'd put everything in one box though. Everyone else is a drive away.

Quoting cmjustice:

If you're shipping, it's going to cost so much to ship it's really not worth it. Maybe spend a few extra bucks on what you would have spent on shipping and shop online somewhere with free shipping? He could pick out the gifts and for $5 or so, that person will get something that they might actually need or want.

theloudhouse
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM
That's a good idea. Sharpiea come in fun colors too.

Quoting terpmama:

White ceramic plates/ mugs and sharpies.... Have him decorate themand then bake them (google).... It'll be "cheap" but special

Lizard_Lina
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Did this last year. Everybody loved it.

Quoting terpmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)