Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My son doesn't seem satisfied with my breastmilk!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 22 Replies
I want to give him formula sometimes, he is three weeks old and never seem full with breastmilk. I don't know if it's a growth spurt of what. I formula fed my daughter which is now two and she got full from formula.
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

The more he sucks, the more milk you produce. If you fill him up with formula, he will eat less breast milk and you won't produce greater amounts. Nurse him more often until supply catches up with demand.

amberNewman0213
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Formula fed babies are also over fed. Is he crying for more? Is he having appropriate amount of wet diapers?
Retrokitty
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM
3 weeks is. Growth spurt. Breast fed babies cluster feed. The more he eats the more milk you make. As long as he's having wet diapers he is getting enough milk.
VintageWife
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM

^^^yep

betterthenmymom
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Depending on your diet your breastmilk can have a high calorie count or low. Maybe your not eating enough calories so he's still hungry.
RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM

just keep on nursing. yes its a growth spurt. so keep on nursing. once your production is up the nursing will level back off again. you both can do this.

hugs

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Nurse, nurse, nurse.  It helps build supply and breastmilk is easier digested so he will seem hungrier until the supply stabilizes.

december911
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Breast milk digests a lot easier so he will eat more often, for at least the first six weeks. My DS is almost 11 weeks now, and being back at work, he will eat roughly 5 ounces every 3 hours. I think it is alot but he is growing! As long as he is gaining weight, then he is doing fine on just your milk. no need for formula. however, that decision is up to you!

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Week 3 is a big growth spurt! I remember nursing my oldest almost every half hour...I was crying, calling my mom, asking what the heck was wrong! It's normal. Best thing to do is keep breastfeeding!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Have you tried pumping to see how much you make? It's definitely possible that you might not be producing enough milk. GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)