Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My BOSS asked me to STOP breastfeeding my child...

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 122 Replies
I need help with my situation I am not sure what to do any advice would be great!

So I have worked for the same company since I was 16 so I have been there for 9 years now. It is a small business so everyone is some what close. When I got pregnant and told my boss (the owner) they seemed excited. But thier opinion quickly changed. I have ADD (attention deficit disorder) and struggle when I am not taking my medication which I obviously could not do when I was pregnant! I also had several complications throughout my pregnancy I was hospitalized for 3 days and when I returned to work I was told that I was going to be switched to hourly & my pay rate was reduced...but I continued to work hard through the whole time! I worked until the day I was induce. I took my 6 weeks of maternity leave which was unpaid because they had taken my accrued vacation away from me when they took me off of salary. When I went back I chose to only go back part time because I feel that it is very important for me to spend time with my little one. They push my buttons often now and make me feel guilty for not working full time or are just rude and degrading to me but I just keep pushing through! Well today I was asked by the owner of the company if I could stop breastfeeding my little one and be put back on my medication for my ADD he them proceeded to tell me that I was very important to the company while I was on my medicine but worthless without it! I was so shocked! I told him that breastfeeding was important to me and that I would not stop breastfeeding to be put back on my medication. I told my husband and he is fed up with all they have put me through since they found out I was pregnant and told my husband thinks I should quit. I am a very loyal person though and feel guilt like I am letting them down! Also, I have never had to quit a job and I am extremely nervous! Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4x4x16mom
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Look for a new job, put in your two weeks, and go else where. Don't quit until you find a new place. If you want to stay a working mom that is, or sahm if your husband can afford it
Childofares
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM
8 moms liked this

You kind of ARE letting them down though. You were hired to do a job a certain way which you are not doing. They do not need to give you special treatment because you have a baby and to be honest if you were that bad while pregnant I would have let you go if you were one of my employees. 

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM
5 moms liked this
Breastfeeding to me is way more important than any job!
Your boss seems like a Dick. I would quit!
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this
They have no business concerning themselves with how you feed your child. I definitely think you should try to find a new job. Don't feel guilty. I used to be like that until my husband pointed out that they wouldn't feel guilty for firing you. It's all business

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Put them on the spot and ask them point blank if they want you to quit. Look them straight in the eye to show that they don't intimidate you. If they let you go, then my opinion is that it will be better for your baby if you are home anyway. Good luck to you either way.

joci2203
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Quit.
shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're financially able to, I would put your two weeks notice in and spend some quality time with your baby.  If not, I'd be looking for another job asap.

Belovedmoonpixi
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM
5 moms liked this

They let YOU down, sweetie....I would get out of there if at all possible.

betterthenmymom
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM
11 moms liked this
Where in her post did you see she wasn't performing her job duties? She said she struggles without her medication not that she couldn't function. You would fire an employee after 9 yrs for being distracted with a very good reason? Glad your not my boss!

Quoting Childofares:

You kind of ARE letting them down though. You were hired to do a job a certain way which you are not doing. They do not need to give you special treatment because you have a baby and to be honest if you were that bad while pregnant I would have let you go if you were one of my employees. 

abigailsmommy11
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM
19 moms liked this

You should have taken them to court the moment they took you off salary. I would contact a lawyer and see if there is anything you can do now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)