Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do your kids have a set routine?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do your kids have a set schedule for their morning, afternoon, and evening routines? Or do you just kind of go with the flow? Do you implement a routine of doing things in order by a certain time? If so how do you do it? (Lists, schedule, charts, etc). How old are your kids?

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a loose schedule that allows for things to happen.   Mornings we have a set schedule though so that dd can get out to the bus stop on time if she does not want to get a ride to school.

LilTymomma
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Have a 2 year-old and it goes something like this: we wake up, eat, play or do crafts together, eat lunch, go potty/brush/teeth bath, read a story, tickles and kisses, take a nap, wake up eat a snack together while watching a cartoon(clifford), let him play while mommy cooks dinner, eat, potty/brush teeth, Pjs on, bedtime story(ies), and night tickles and kisses. but when we go out we tried to keep his nap time sometimes we can't though. 

Love Always,

Angel

typing

jconney80
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM

We have a pretty set routine on purpose. It isn't about sticking to the timeline as much as it is sticking to the order. My kids have autism and it really helps them to have a consistent routine so they know what to expect next. 

I have a morning, afternoon, and evening routine written out on a Melissa & Doug chore chart dry erase board in her room. She is supposed to do all of those things each day in order and has that to check back with so that she can be responsible for them. For my younger two kids we just do things in order everyday and pretty much at the same time. The only thing that differs is that sometimes they take a nap on the go or sometimes they won't nap so that kind of throws things off. One thing that I really try to stick to timewise is bedtime. Also when they wake up in the morning (my younger kids don't need an alarm since they get up early on their own lol)

jconney80
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I can definitely understand that! My oldest is homeschooled now but I still want her up at a certain time everyday to be on a schedule.

Quoting frndlyfn:

We have a loose schedule that allows for things to happen.   Mornings we have a set schedule though so that dd can get out to the bus stop on time if she does not want to get a ride to school.

startingover78
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Set routine for weekdays. Weekends are laid back. Girls are 11&12 besides being cranky our mornings go pretty smooth...get dressed,breakfast and cartoons. After school...homework, snack, free time till dinner,bath,make sure everything is prepared for the next day,bedtime 9pm.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Monday was our worst day...... woke up late, missed the bus but got her to school on time.  On the way home her bus broke down so she did not get home until nearly 5pm which it was dark.  I gave her the night off from homework since routine was completely F'd up.

Quoting jconney80:

I can definitely understand that! My oldest is homeschooled now but I still want her up at a certain time everyday to be on a schedule.

Quoting frndlyfn:

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a basic schedule and routine, but nothing super strict. For my six year old son, it's:

6am- wake up, get dressed, brush hair, comes to hang out with me

6:30- eats breakfast

6:50- brushes teeth

7- walk to bus stop and goes to school

3- 4 gets out of school, goes to extra curricular, which is either swim team, violin, piano, latin, fencing, or tennis depending on day of the week

4:15- gets home

4:15-7- does whatever. He has this time to do his homework, do chores, play with my husband and I, or play with friends. He has about a half hour to an hour of homework each night, 20 minutes of chores, when he does them is up to him as long as they get done. The rest of the time he usually spends outside playing with his friends for half of the time and hangs out with my husband and I for the other half.

7- dinner

7-8- family time

8- my husband goes to work, my son finishes any chores or homework he has and makes sure that his room is clean and his school things are packed and in the front hall closet

8:30- bath, brush teeth, get changed, read one chapter of the childrens Bible and one chapter of his book outloud, read one chapter to himself

9- lights out

My daughter is only three months, so she isn't really on a schedule, just does whatever.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM

This sounds like how my oldest daughter's routine was when she was in school lol. She is also a grouch in the morning lol

Quoting startingover78: Set routine for weekdays. Weekends are laid back. Girls are 11&12 besides being cranky our mornings go pretty smooth...get dressed,breakfast and cartoons. After school...homework, snack, free time till dinner,bath,make sure everything is prepared for the next day,bedtime 9pm.

LMG812
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM
My Son Is Four Months And I Have Him On A Schedule Like This
9:30Am Wake Up Eats 6Oz
Nap At 10 Or 10:30
Every 3-4 Hours He Eats 6,-8 Oz
By 10Pm Or 10:30 He's In Bed For The Night And Sleeps The Whole Night
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Yes--Lists and schedules that I use not necesarily for them to look at and follow individually.  They are 6 and 3.5 yrs old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)