Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Deformed kittens

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 32 Replies

Mobile Photo

We feed our cats outside and get visitor cats. I don't mind in this cold. Went out to get firewood and heard meowing in our shed. Found a mama cat in labor with cold kittens. I brought them all in and put a heater in front of them. Rubbed babies with warm towels. And noticed three of the four had weird front legs.

I will take them to the vet on monday for an opinion on their condition and what to do. She's a stray we'll spay (a rescue center has reduced rates). But since DF just got laid off, expensive surgery is not in our budget. I can splint them as one site said.

Anyone seen this?
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadowmoon
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I'm not sure what that is but hopefully the vet can help the babies without having to put them down.  Good luck.

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Poor babies. I would wait to see what the vet says. Maybe they can be adopted out as indoor cats once mama has weaned them. 

emt088
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok, so they're deformed. Why do assume you have to do anything about it? In all likelihood, they'll adapt to the deformity because that's all they know.

Personally, I'd leave it alone and wait to see how they do.
theloudhouse
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Thanks. I'll do what I can to help and that rescue place is a no kill one. Between them, the vet and I we'll do our best to help them. They're all snuggly and warm in the box DF set up for them in a spare room. They're eating and mama is purring.
theloudhouse
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM
That's what I'm thinking. We've got a great no kill rescue center here I've used for stray dogs that get dropped off in the country. They make sure animals get good homes. They just ask the finders to foster them until homes can be found.

Quoting Aamy:

Poor babies. I would wait to see what the vet says. Maybe they can be adopted out as indoor cats once mama has weaned them. 

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I have we had a pregnant cat show up and 3 of her 6 came out deformed like that.   Those 3 were comcieved after the other 3   So were under developed. They didn't make it more than 24 hrs.     Check it's tongue I bet it's not fully developed either 

theloudhouse
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Oh no. I've helped them to get warmed up and they and mama are in a warm safe spot. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quoting Fields456:

I have we had a pregnant cat show up and 3 of her 6 came out deformed like that.   Those 3 were comcieved after the other 3   So were under developed. They didn't make it more than 24 hrs.     Check it's tongue I bet it's not fully developed either 

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Pretty much  not really much else you can do from home.  If they make it till Monday idk if the vet can do aything. We didn't get that far,  good luck! 

Quoting theloudhouse: Oh no. I've helped them to get warmed up and they and mama are in a warm safe spot. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quoting Fields456:

theloudhouse
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Thanks.

Quoting Fields456:

Pretty much  not really much else you can do from home.  If they make it till Monday idk if the vet can do aything. We didn't get that far,  good luck! 

Quoting theloudhouse: Oh no. I've helped them to get warmed up and they and mama are in a warm safe spot. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quoting Fields456:

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Since they are born that way, they wont know they are different and they will adapt for themselves, but depending on what the vet says, not sure they would adapt enough to live in the wild. Unless its something the vet says will correct or what not. Poor little guys. Makes me want them hehe. 

Quoting theloudhouse: That's what I'm thinking. We've got a great no kill rescue center here I've used for stray dogs that get dropped off in the country. They make sure animals get good homes. They just ask the finders to foster them until homes can be found.

Quoting Aamy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN