Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How common are false negative in early pregnancy? id be about five weeks

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 9 Replies
Well lets see I am 9-10 days late on my period today my first day of my last period was October 30 2013, I have nausea mainly in the morning with no vomit, heart burn, itchy boobs and tender, change in nipple appearance, cramps and abdominal stretching type feeling/pain, fatigue, headaches, slight joint pain. I had took a blood test two day after missed period waited two days and it was a negative my level was at a 4 which they consider normal and since then I've taken two home cheap dollar store test and they come up negative. This would be my second pregnancy if I am and my first one I didn't test positive tell 8 weeks but miscarried not long after. So is it possible I am but my levels aren't high enough for them. My doctor did order me back next Wednesday but I just want to know. Anyone Have some information on this type of thing?
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
noelgray
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM

False positives aren't supposed to be common at all... My sister didn't test positive on a urine or blood test until she was 8 weeks. All I can say is good luck and I hope it turns out as you are hoping. 

Noel (24)
& Brandon (26)
TTC since March 1, 2008
Avery Drew (grew wings 1/5/08 at 6wks 3days gestation)
Skylar Dakota (grew wings 4/19/08 at 5wks 1day gestation)
Charlie Blake (grew wings 4/4/10 at 4wks 3days gestation)

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I would wait for the second test on Weds. Anything is possible. Good luck!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Blood tests are pretty darn accurate, but it's good that your doc wants to see you again next week, just in case.

Good luck!

AnnaJiang
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Wish you luck!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I think you mean false negatives which can be common until further into pregnancy.  I have never heard of a false positive if a person is pregnant.

Molimomma
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

It was my understanding that you can get a false negative but NOT a false positive. I could be wrong but that was always my understanding. Both times I was pregnant that stick lit up like a Christmas tree.

Bribriesmom
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I was able to get a positive reading at 4 weeks and 6 weeks when I went to the hospital. Blood is very accurate and the most accurate. You could just be late or you're not as far along as you may think. Good luck.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I hope you can get some answers at the appointment! I haven't heard of a false positive but maybe you're not just as far along as you thought.

jayray51413
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I am in the same situation. I have ALL the symptoms but testing negative. When I was pregnant with my son I didn't test positive until 10 weeks. I'm going to go to the Dr this week and get a blood test done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)