Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moms with daughters...puberty question

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 52 Replies

My dd is 6 1/2 I want to have the talk with her and kind prepare her for her body to start changing and all that stuff ( I was 9 when I started my period) but of course I want to do it age appropriate level.so does many one know if there are any books I can get her.and any tips and advice would really help.my mom was never open about this tuff with me and I was never able to talk to her about this.but I think my dd is getting to an age where we should start talking 

by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Yes there are books out there.  You can go to barnes and nobles or local library for help.   Has she asked any questions yet?

Mommy2-3181
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The biggest question she asked was how babies were born when I was pregnant last year and we did talk about it and I told her.but we have never talked about periods,boobs hormones.i never felt she was at an appropriate age for that yet.but I think she is at the age now that we should.do you know any names of books

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes there are books out there.  You can go to barnes and nobles or local library for help.   Has she asked any questions yet?

christina122952
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

go to the library or ask your doctor.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I dont think you necessarily have to talk about hormones but just explain how the body is getting older so there will be changes that occur.  For the life of me, i can not remember the book my mom had when i was this age.

Here is one i have heard alot of good things about .......... http://www.amazon.com/The-Care-Keeping-You-Younger/dp/1609580834

Quoting Mommy2-3181:

The biggest question she asked was how babies were born when I was pregnant last year and we did talk about it and I told her.but we have never talked about periods,boobs hormones.i never felt she was at an appropriate age for that yet.but I think she is at the age now that we should.do you know any names of books

Quoting frndlyfn:

codfish
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM
When mine were 8 or 9 we got them books called "What is happening to my body", for boys or girls.
They are very descriptive and discuss things a lot of kids are parents aren't comfortable with.
We had the talk first of course.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I told my oldest dd in 5th grade. Its usually when schools start talking about it when girls r in one room boys are in another. My younger dd is in 5th grade now and we have had the talk. I dont think they are old enough to remember or grasp it at age 6.
Mommy2-3181
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Quoting DallasCowboys81: I told my oldest dd in 5th grade. Its usually when schools start talking about it when girls r in one room boys are in another. My younger dd is in 5th grade now and we have had the talk. I dont think they are old enough to remember or grasp it at age 6.

She remembers having the talk where babies come from and we had that talk when she was 4 1/2 I just want to open the lines up with her and start taking about it so if she does have a question she doesn't have to feel like she can't talk to me.i think 6 is a good age

Mommy2-3181
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Quoting christina122952:

We don't have any libraries around us.thats why I asked other moms for some good book suggestions 

christina122952
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

oh

Quoting Mommy2-3181:

Quoting christina122952:

We don't have any libraries around us.thats why I asked other moms for some good book suggestions 

CafeMom Tickers
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Im not to that point yet. My daughter is only 15 months. But I started at 9 too, so I'll talk to her early.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN