Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What did your grandma used to cook that you are sorry you didn't get the recipe for?

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister wishes that she had gotten my grandma's molasses cookie recipe. They were soft cookies. :(

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Alzheimers is such a tragedy. My aunt is suffering from it also.  What a shame about your grandma's recipe being lost.

Quoting bmw29: My grandma made the world's best cinnamon rolls. She's still alive but she's 100 years old and she has Alzheimer's disease so the recipe is lost.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Chicken and dumplings are so good and such a comfort food. Do you make doughy dumplings or thick noodles? Around where I live chicken and dumplings is made with noodles, but my grandma used a baking powder dough.

Quoting Jennyanne322: Chicken and dumplings. They were my dads favorite and I wish I could make them for him.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Yum! Be sure to get them. :)

Quoting momma2b2008: Both of my grandmas are still alive. But I would be sad if I didn't get my dads moms potatoe salad recipe and my moms moms fudge and peanut butter recipe.

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Her Scottish clootie dumpling recipe. I've tried making it from recipes I've found online but nothing has that certain "je ne sais quoi" that hers did....

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Her chicken and dumplings.
taKENheart
by Flovely on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

That sounds really easy and I've seen it done on television, lol.  I've just always been intimidated by dough or baking.  Maybe it is those fresh eggs.  Did she butcher her own chickens too? LOL!  My mom had a small farm once and when I would visit her in the summer she would get me a bunny from the flea market and when I came back for a visit my bunny had died.  LOL I bet she ate my bunnies!

Quoting Bmat:

It really isn't hard. She raised her own chickens and had fresh eggs, so maybe that made a difference.  She sifted a pile of flour with a little salt on her countertop and made a well and put in some eggs and milk and pulled it all together with her hands until it formed a dough, then rolled it out and cut it. I make mine in a bowl and use a wooden spoon, but there was something about hers that was so good, whether it was the fresh eggs or the thickness or the length of time she let them dry I'm not sure. :)

Quoting taKENheart:
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM

aww,  it's too bad that you can't get the recipe. :(

Quoting GirlieGal76:

Her Scottish clootie dumpling recipe. I've tried making it from recipes I've found online but nothing has that certain "je ne sais quoi" that hers did....

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Both my grandmas are still living and I have made it a point to pick their brains for all their yummy recipes LOL

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Yes, she didn't like to, but every Saturday she butchered a chicken and every Sunday it was chicken for lunch.

Aw, Yes she could well have eaten the bunnies. :(

It really is easy to make your own noodles.

Here is the recipe I use:

Noodles

I double this recipe:

1 egg, 2 Tbl milk, 1/2 tsp salt (mix together)

1 cup flour, or enough to make a stiff dough that is no longer sticky.

Roll thin on well-floured board. (a recipe I have says let it rest 20 minutes first, which I don't bother with, but it could make rolling out easier.  It isn't necessary to roll them very thin, because the thicker, chewy,  texture is part of what I like about them.)

Cut with a knife as desired. (I cut about 1 inch by 2 inches)

Let dry about 2 hours.

drop into boiling chicken broth and cook until tender- around a half hour.

Quoting taKENheart:

That sounds really easy and I've seen it done on television, lol.  I've just always been intimidated by dough or baking.  Maybe it is those fresh eggs.  Did she butcher her own chickens too? LOL!  My mom had a small farm once and when I would visit her in the summer she would get me a bunny from the flea market and when I came back for a visit my bunny had died.  LOL I bet she ate my bunnies!

Quoting Bmat:

It really isn't hard. She raised her own chickens and had fresh eggs, so maybe that made a difference.  She sifted a pile of flour with a little salt on her countertop and made a well and put in some eggs and milk and pulled it all together with her hands until it formed a dough, then rolled it out and cut it. I make mine in a bowl and use a wooden spoon, but there was something about hers that was so good, whether it was the fresh eggs or the thickness or the length of time she let them dry I'm not sure. :)

Quoting taKENheart:

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

When my husband's grandmother passed away earlier this year the family decided to give me all of her recipes. There are a ton of kids, grandkids and even great grandkids they could have passed them down too but they all wanted me to have them. That was really special for me. :)

Quoting Bmat:

Alzheimers is such a tragedy. My aunt is suffering from it also.  What a shame about your grandma's recipe being lost.

Quoting bmw29: My grandma made the world's best cinnamon rolls. She's still alive but she's 100 years old and she has Alzheimer's disease so the recipe is lost.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)