Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What did your grandma used to cook that you are sorry you didn't get the recipe for?

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister wishes that she had gotten my grandma's molasses cookie recipe. They were soft cookies. :(

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
taKENheart
by Flovely on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I wouldn't have wanted to either.  LOL my poor "pet" bunnies.  Thanks for the recipe!

Quoting Bmat:

Yes, she didn't like to, but every Saturday she butchered a chicken and every Sunday it was chicken for lunch.

Aw, Yes she could well have eaten the bunnies. :(

It really is easy to make your own noodles.

Here is the recipe I use:

Noodles

I double this recipe:

1 egg, 2 Tbl milk, 1/2 tsp salt (mix together)

1 cup flour, or enough to make a stiff dough that is no longer sticky.

Roll thin on well-floured board. (a recipe I have says let it rest 20 minutes first, which I don't bother with, but it could make rolling out easier.  It isn't necessary to roll them very thin, because the thicker, chewy,  texture is part of what I like about them.)

Cut with a knife as desired. (I cut about 1 inch by 2 inches)

Let dry about 2 hours.

drop into boiling chicken broth and cook until tender- around a half hour.

Quoting taKENheart:
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Her biscuits
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

My grandmas Polish Sausage recipe. I had always wanted her to show me how to make her sausage.  I never made sausage from scratch.  When we were kids. She'd just she shew us out of kitchen.  I don't think any family has the recipe.   If it's around.  It's probably in Polish. Needing to be translated. But grandma never measured anything by cups and spoons.  It was a handful of this or that.

jtsmommy11
by New Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Chocolate fudge!! All i know is she used those cream drops that are super sweet
imyourPuppy
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I know all of my grandma recipes, but I still can't make her dishes as tasty as she made them. :-(
Lalasmomma13
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM
She cooks a lot of things that I can still get the recipe for.
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It is very sweet that you got the recipes.  I got my grandma's recipe books, but her recipes went to someone else and I don't even know to whom.

Quoting bmw29:

When my husband's grandmother passed away earlier this year the family decided to give me all of her recipes. There are a ton of kids, grandkids and even great grandkids they could have passed them down too but they all wanted me to have them. That was really special for me. :)

Quoting Bmat:

Alzheimers is such a tragedy. My aunt is suffering from it also.  What a shame about your grandma's recipe being lost.

Quoting bmw29: My grandma made the world's best cinnamon rolls. She's still alive but she's 100 years old and she has Alzheimer's disease so the recipe is lost.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I don't remember my grandma measuring either. Too bad that you didn't get the Polish Sausage recipe.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

My grandmas Polish Sausage recipe. I had always wanted her to show me how to make her sausage.  I never made sausage from scratch.  When we were kids. She'd just she shew us out of kitchen.  I don't think any family has the recipe.   If it's around.  It's probably in Polish. Needing to be translated. But grandma never measured anything by cups and spoons.  It was a handful of this or that.

Numom61507
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

My Gma is a phenomenal cook and she's still around. I get her recipes when she goes. 

My Mother, however, passed almost 14 years ago and had this 10-lb cheesecake recipe and a salisbury steak recipe that I want, but my sister is holding the recipes hostage, that bitch!

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Would this be it?

Fudge (easy, cream drop)

1 12-16 oz. bag cream drop candy
1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or regular)

Microwave cream drops for 2-3 mins until they soften and you can mix them well. Add the one cup peanut butter.

Pour into a buttered dish. If you want nuts in the fudge, use crunchy peanut butter.

Quoting jtsmommy11: Chocolate fudge!! All i know is she used those cream drops that are super sweet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)