Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What did your grandma used to cook that you are sorry you didn't get the recipe for?

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister wishes that she had gotten my grandma's molasses cookie recipe. They were soft cookies. :(

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Both of these would be good comfort foods.

Quoting dallascowboys82: Her homemade stuffing..and her German noodles

ZombieChicken
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Nothing. I have her books. I'm going to compile them into a book for our family.
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Corn gravy? I haven't heard of it, but I like corn a lot! :)  I hope you get to learn how to make it.

Quoting noelgray:

I want my grandma to teach me to made corn gravy before she dies. It may sound gross, and it may be to most, but our entire family loves it.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

True.  I miss my grandma so much.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom: Her eggplant parmesan. I miss it, but not as much as
I miss her.

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

That sucks that you don't know who got them. I'm making a recipe book of all her recipes and the family just calls me if they want one of them. It's a slow process though because hers are all hand written, very hard to read and half of them don't even have all of the directions because she knew what to do. LOL

Quoting Bmat:

It is very sweet that you got the recipes.  I got my grandma's recipe books, but her recipes went to someone else and I don't even know to whom.

Quoting bmw29:

When my husband's grandmother passed away earlier this year the family decided to give me all of her recipes. There are a ton of kids, grandkids and even great grandkids they could have passed them down too but they all wanted me to have them. That was really special for me. :)

Quoting Bmat:

Alzheimers is such a tragedy. My aunt is suffering from it also.  What a shame about your grandma's recipe being lost.

Quoting bmw29: My grandma made the world's best cinnamon rolls. She's still alive but she's 100 years old and she has Alzheimer's disease so the recipe is lost.

noelgray
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. It is a white gravy, very similar to the gravy of chicken and dumplings but not chicken flavored, with corn in it. lol It's so good.

Quoting Bmat:

Corn gravy? I haven't heard of it, but I like corn a lot! :)  I hope you get to learn how to make it.

Quoting noelgray:

I want my grandma to teach me to made corn gravy before she dies. It may sound gross, and it may be to most, but our entire family loves it.

Noel (24)
& Brandon (26)
TTC since March 1, 2008
Avery Drew (grew wings 1/5/08 at 6wks 3days gestation)
Skylar Dakota (grew wings 4/19/08 at 5wks 1day gestation)
Charlie Blake (grew wings 4/4/10 at 4wks 3days gestation)

rebeccarae
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Sadly nothing, my side of the family makes horrible food. Oddly I became a chef and now I give recipes to everyone, including grandma.
imyourPuppy
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM
They never tasted the "real thing" :-)

Quoting Bmat:

It's good that you have her recipes.  At least that is something. Your family probably likes yours just as well. :)

Quoting imyourPuppy: I know all of my grandma recipes, but I still can't make her dishes as tasty as she made them. :-(

stef1976
by New Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandma's baked steak and her mince meat cookie recipes.

My other grandma's baked liver and onions and her rum balls.

rijerbea
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Her home made pie dough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)