Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Long hair on a Boy.....

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM
  • 17 Replies

My 5 yr old DS has decided that he want to grow his hair to his sholders and I'm letting him... I always joke that its getting too long and I'm gonna shave it off and He just says NO! and laughs and runs away! But My Friend thinks its bad That I'm letting him do it! Long hair is for boys she says... I disagree and told her Its not her son so not to worry about it...

IMO This is something HE can control... He can't control, what food I make, the shows he's allowed to watch, His computer time, What cloths he wears (sorta)... I don't see a problem with letting him wear his hair how he wants it as long as he helps keep it clean and maintained!! He is getting much better and brushing it and letting me wash it right since I told him that is what he has to do to have long hair....

Do U think She's right? or Is it fine? Its not gonna affect what I allow him to do but I just wanna know!!

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM
My ds 6 has spurts where he wants long hair. I dont see a issue with it. Both my boys were born with mullets and hair grows suoer fast. Sometimes they go shaggy because i can't make it to a barber or get clippers real quick to cut it i say let him do what he wants. He is old enough to make a statement :)
hugss
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Probably not an issue for now :)

BamaMomto4
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Hair style is one battle I don't even consider fighting. As soon as my kids started telling me how they preferred to wear their hair I let them. I think at one timeI had the only 3 yr old in town who wore a buzz cut with a rat tail. Big brother( then 7) had one and ds#2 wanted his hair just like his brother. 

My 3rd ds (16)has long hair right now. It's about halfway down his back. I have no problem with it as long as he keeps it clean. He started growing it out about 4 or so years ago. Until then he had always worn either a buzz cut or a typical boy's hair cut. He has gotten a lot of compliments on his hair from mostly women who said theywould love to have hair like his.

NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I dont think it hurts a kid but I do think its ugly.  I dont force my son (14) to cut his hair anymore and he did start to grow it out but the whole world kept telling him how he needed a haircut.  I told him long hair isnt the same as uncut hair.  Longer hair should be styled and cut for a long hair style.  He now has shaggy hair that has been cut to be a bit longer rather than the nearly shaved head I always kept him in.  

DKWSD
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Who cares what your child's hair looks like? My daughter has half her head shaved, she's probably the only onesticking out tongue Your child isn't a body. In fact, their more spirit than body. It's just a look.

NeekyAlbert
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:59 AM

IT'S NOT AN BIG ISSUE FOR NOW............EVERY KIDS LOOKS CUTE IN LONG HAIR.....baby gift

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I agree with you. It's hair, for crying out loud. If it's too long you can cut it and if it's too short it'll grow. 

My eldest grew his hair long in 8th grade. (not to his shoulders but it was long for him). I also let them dye it. In the late 90's it was 'in' for a while for boys to dye blonde the hair just over their forehead. (like where girls would have bangs).

Drove my dh bat shit crazy.."it's hair" I'd say..lol Pick and choose your battles.

Lynette
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM
My 2 older boys had long hair. I teased about shaving it too but I would never do that. Yesterday they decided to get cuts. It's odd to see them now with shorter hair styles. I admit I kinda miss the long! Their hair their choice with hair style IMO.
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Let him decide how he wants his hair.

flprincessmom
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I do not see an issue with boys having long hair.....my son's hair is to mid back when stretched...and it's ombre (blonde and brown)....I let both of my kids show their personalities through the clothes and styles they wear...that goes for the hair too......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)