Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you think people who ask for plastic bags at a grocery store should have to pay extra?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 55 Replies

A lot of the chains here in Colorado are now starting to charge customers for not bringing in their own bags.  Do you think this is ok or no?

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I have made a habit of just leaving my reusable grocery bags in my car.  The stores here give you a 5 cent credit for each reusable grocery bag that you bring in. 

How much of a charge are we talking about for not bringing their own bags?

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

They kind of already do, or at least the store I worked at 10 years ago did. We didn't "charge more" really, but we did take five cents per bag off their total if they brought their own bags.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I'm in Colorado too and none of our stores are charging... They do discount if you bring your own... And have big bins you can deposit bags to be recycled.

sburger315
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM

the only place here in my area (NE Pennsylvania) that doesn't use plastic bags is Aldi's.  The Top's that is in our town actually hates when we bring our own bags. 

Luke 3/15/11    Maddie 4/29/12    Identical Twin Girls Due 5/29/14

aimlee
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

my stores too!! I live in Hudson valley NY, and they actually get mad when I bring my own bags.they would put 1 or 2 items in a bag so I was forced to use plastic. I finally told the baggers to please go help another customer while I bag mine.

Quoting sburger315:

the only place here in my area (NE Pennsylvania) that doesn't use plastic bags is Aldi's.  The Top's that is in our town actually hates when we bring our own bags. 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Bottom Dollar doesn't provide bags. Bring your own or buy reusable or plastic ones there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
risaspieces
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
In one of the border towns here they charge for bags, but it's because we had a huge littering problem and it was ending up on the fence to the border and in the Gulf of Mexico.
sburger315
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Yes! lol. I always bag my own stuff, I HATE when other people do it. I have a specific way and if it isn't done right I get frustrated :-/
Quoting aimlee:

my stores too!! I live in Hudson valley NY, and they actually get mad when I bring my own bags.they would put 1 or 2 items in a bag so I was forced to use plastic. I finally told the baggers to please go help another customer while I bag mine.

Quoting sburger315:

Luke 3/15/11    Maddie 4/29/12    Identical Twin Girls Due 5/29/14

MamaTinie
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I'm in Seattle. They charge for bags. And moat stores are paper or bring your own
aimlee
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

lol i thought i was the only one! my husband thinks im nuts but if I can carry 3 bags instead of 10, thats what im going to do. After coming home to dishsoap bagged with my meat, I wont let them do it. lol

Quoting sburger315: Yes! lol. I always bag my own stuff, I HATE when other people do it. I have a specific way and if it isn't done right I get frustrated :-/
Quoting aimlee:

Quoting sburger315:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN