Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Thinking about Christmas gifts. Should you feel obligated to give to a teacher

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 3 Replies
I can remember some years back. I took a cooking class at the technical college. Yes I can cook. This was a class on family meal planning. I took it to learn some new recipes or meal ideas. It ended like the week before Christmas. I was one of the younger ones in the class. It was mostly old ladies who took the class as an activity to do during the week. I figured I paid my fee for class. I don't owe anything else. The week before the last day. These old ladies come to me. Saying that they are taking up a collection for the teacher. That they do that every semester. That I am expected to give 5$. Instead of a gift they buy. They'd put the money in a card and give her that. Not that 5$ was that much. But the principal of the fact was. I paid to take a class. Like anyone else who takes a class at the college. I shouldn't be obligated to give a donation for a gift to the teacher. I told them old ladies No I was not giving towards the gift. Had they of asked would I like to give 5$ towards a gift for the teacher. Then I might of said yes. But to be told it's expected of me to do that. That changed how I felt about the gift. This just popped in my head. After hearing lots of talk about gifts for teachers.
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

These women take the class over and over again?  I would just buy the teacher a card or something.  They do not expect gifts from their students.

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Each semester it's a different set of recipes that are taught.  After a number of semesters.   These women have nothing better to do. They're all retired.  They take these noncredit classes for fun.  I found out the group of them ladies were all friends or a clique or something.  There were only 2 of us who were not part of the group of ladies.

Quoting frndlyfn:

These women take the class over and over again?  I would just buy the teacher a card or something.  They do not expect gifts from their students.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Oh that would stink being outsiders but good for you to say no to their request.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Each semester it's a different set of recipes that are taught.  After a number of semesters.   These women have nothing better to do. They're all retired.  They take these noncredit classes for fun.  I found out the group of them ladies were all friends or a clique or something.  There were only 2 of us who were not part of the group of ladies.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)