Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What are you getting your in-laws for Christmas?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 16 Replies

I just married DH last month and I haven't met his parents yet.  We're having a baby soon and they've been really supportive and accepting of me and my DS without even meeting me. They've sent me tons of stuff for the baby and for myself and his mom emails me regularly to check on me.  I'm totally lost on what to get them for Christmas though.  I know that they like to fish, my FIL owns a boat and this is their first grandbaby.  Other than that, I'm at a loss!  What are you getting YOUR in-laws?? 

by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebugs_mom906
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM
This year - nothing. We agreed not to exchange gifts because FIL lost his job in October, and money is tight. We may do Christmas later when and if FIL get a new job.

In years past, we get them things that they're interested in. For FIL, it's beer and tools. He makes his own beer, so we may get a kit he likes. For mil, we've gotten jewelry, kitchen items, and things from the kids.

Congrats on your new baby!
happymia
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM
We got all the grandparents these marble coasters with the kids pictures on them.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I am making them coasters.

ColoradoMom86
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Thank you so much, we're very excited.  He's due Christmas Eve :)  

Quoting lovebugs_mom906: This year - nothing. We agreed not to exchange gifts because FIL lost his job in October, and money is tight. We may do Christmas later when and if FIL get a new job.

In years past, we get them things that they're interested in. For FIL, it's beer and tools. He makes his own beer, so we may get a kit he likes. For mil, we've gotten jewelry, kitchen items, and things from the kids.

Congrats on your new baby!

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Nothing.  We used to, but there's over 10 kids between mine and DH's family now, so we just buy for kids now.  Do they collect anything or are into anything major.  My MIL collects windchimes and spends a lot of time in her garden and FIL is a major Steelers fan and is in love with his mustang.  So, I've usually gotten them things pertaining to those subjects.  One year I also got them one of those personalized photobooks.  You could also bake them some cookies or whatever they like.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM
nothing because they dont celebrate the holiday. and they are abroad so no pressure for gifting.
taKENheart
by Flovely on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM

We've never really done Christmas gifts for our parents.  I think this year we'll send the moms some money.  I know they both could use it.  My mom has a harder time accepting money but if it's for Christmas then she might take it, lol.

Congratulations on the marriage and pregnancy.  His parents seem like a dream!  When do you expect to meet them?

ColoradoMom86
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM

They've said not to get t hem anything b/c they say we need to save for the baby, but we can afford SOMETHING. After all they've done for me I'd feel like I was being rude not getting them something.  They are in more contact with me and ask more about the pregnancy than my own parents.  Great in-laws so far :)  They live in Massachusetts and I'm in Colorado.  They were going to come out for the birth but their other son just got home from Afghanistan and wants to come home for Christmas.  So maybe in the Spring :)  His mother is Japanese, so I decided to get her some Japanese wind chimes (someone on here said wind chimes and I remember my own grandma loving them) and I think for his dad a New England Patriots flag for his boat :) 

Quoting taKENheart:

We've never really done Christmas gifts for our parents.  I think this year we'll send the moms some money.  I know they both could use it.  My mom has a harder time accepting money but if it's for Christmas then she might take it, lol.

Congratulations on the marriage and pregnancy.  His parents seem like a dream!  When do you expect to meet them?

taKENheart
by Flovely on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Of course they would say that ;) They must care about you all so much and are probably thrilled about the new grandchild.  They sound like very good people with big hearts.  I think you chose very nice gifts and they'll love anything you send ;)
We were stationed in Japan and loved it.  I hope she gets to visit her country from time to time. 

Quoting ColoradoMom86:

They've said not to get t hem anything b/c they say we need to save for the baby, but we can afford SOMETHING. After all they've done for me I'd feel like I was being rude not getting them something.  They are in more contact with me and ask more about the pregnancy than my own parents.  Great in-laws so far :)  They live in Massachusetts and I'm in Colorado.  They were going to come out for the birth but their other son just got home from Afghanistan and wants to come home for Christmas.  So maybe in the Spring :)  His mother is Japanese, so I decided to get her some Japanese wind chimes (someone on here said wind chimes and I remember my own grandma loving them) and I think for his dad a New England Patriots flag for his boat :) 

Quoting taKENheart:

Buggy979
by Danette on Dec. 13, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Nothing but a card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)