Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Mother-in-law.........

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this

For the LONGEST time I Really didn't like my MIL but in the last yr I have grown to love her!! In January I got Pneumonia and Bronchitis, which landed me in the Hospital for 3 days and as soon as my DH told his mom she rushed to the hospital to check on me and sat with me while my DH went to get food... then instead of my DH having to leave me there to take care of the kids, she went to the house and took care of them for 3 days!! She cleaned the house and disinfected the whole house so maybe I wouldn't get sick again (its didn't work sadly) But since then we have really gotten closer and I don't feel like I am a nuisence to her... I think maybe her additude towards me was due to the fact that my DH has M.S. and has been hurt several time by "women" who say they love him and then drain him dry and run off when he has an attack from his M.S.! I LOVE him and would never leave him for something like that! It would take a serious SERIOUS issue for me to even concider leaving him. We argue and bicker but what Couple doesn't? Just last week she was here and my DH moved my wallet then couldn't remember where he put it, and I was leaving with her to go pick up his Christmas gift.. I was MAD, told him to stop touching my Sh*t and Nagged at him for the whole 20 mins it took him to find it! She just laughed and told me I sounded like her!! But I am completely RELIEVED that our relationship has improved!!! I also am naming our DD After her Mother which has made her so very happy!! Talley was her Mother Maiden name but Grandpa called her Talley instead of her actual name... I can explain that later if any wants to know why! LOL

How is your relationship with your MIL and has it had a change like ours one way or another... Did u love her once and she do something to change it Or did you dislike her once and that change?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by Flovely on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM

This was beautiful to read and I thank you for sharing it ;)
I think it is wonderful that your relationship has turned around.
I haven't been around my mil much during our marriage as dh was military.  Now she lives with my SIL.  She's a nice enough lady but I don't know her that well.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM
My mil and I have always gotten along well. I definitely think her other dil is her favorite (they have very similar personalities and I'm different (they are Texan repubs, I'm much more liberal and hippy-ish) but I have always felt respected and included.
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I honestly think she didn't trust me for the longest time... I can understand why but after we moved in together he had a BIG attack and was in a wheel chair while I was pregnant with our DS and I quit my job to take care of him after I came home from work and he had tried to get to the bathroom by dragging himself down the hall and peeing the whole way... I couldn't allow him to live like that! I never ONCE considered leaving or just ignoring his needs.. His ex's had in the past or just left while he was sick... His Ex wife actually had the audacity after he got sick the very first time to walk into the hospital room and say "OH I guess u really are sick!" after he was unable to come pick up his DD... I have fought tooth and NAIL to insure he can see his DD more then he was able to and threaten to help him take Is Ex to court to MAKE her allow him to see her every other holiday! He had to go 6 yrs without getting to see her on Christmas OR thanksgiving... Now Every other yr we either get her for Christmas or thanksgiving... I think maybe she figured out I wasn't going to abandon him or treat him like a piece of crap! I Love him, With or without his disablility... I Alway felt like she looked down on me and my family but that has changed in the last yr and I couldn't be happier!! I want her and Grandpa to be as big of a part of the kids lives as my family is!!

Quoting taKENheart:

I haven't been around my mil much during our marriage as dh was military.  Now she lives with my SIL.  She's a nice enough lady but I don't know her that well.

CafeMom Tickers
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:18 AM

We are a lot alike and differnet!! I am artisic like her but political and Religious ideas but We made the agreement to not discuss those things! LOL

Quoting terpmama: My mil and I have always gotten along well. I definitely think her other dil is her favorite (they have very similar personalities and I'm different (they are Texan repubs, I'm much more liberal and hippy-ish) but I have always felt respected and included.

CafeMom Tickers
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Aww that is so awesome to hear,
Glad you are closer with her now ;)

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Always loved my mil
taKENheart
by Flovely on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I can hear the love and determination in your reply. What in-laws wouldn't love you.  You are a beautiful person and I'm sure you have proven yourself time and time again.  I'm glad he has you and you all have made a beautiful family.  I'm also glad that his family has accepted you and instead of having a bitter heart you have accepted them into your life.  A beautiful turn around!  I'm so happy for you to hear about it.

Quoting indianamom1985:

I honestly think she didn't trust me for the longest time... I can understand why but after we moved in together he had a BIG attack and was in a wheel chair while I was pregnant with our DS and I quit my job to take care of him after I came home from work and he had tried to get to the bathroom by dragging himself down the hall and peeing the whole way... I couldn't allow him to live like that! I never ONCE considered leaving or just ignoring his needs.. His ex's had in the past or just left while he was sick... His Ex wife actually had the audacity after he got sick the very first time to walk into the hospital room and say "OH I guess u really are sick!" after he was unable to come pick up his DD... I have fought tooth and NAIL to insure he can see his DD more then he was able to and threaten to help him take Is Ex to court to MAKE her allow him to see her every other holiday! He had to go 6 yrs without getting to see her on Christmas OR thanksgiving... Now Every other yr we either get her for Christmas or thanksgiving... I think maybe she figured out I wasn't going to abandon him or treat him like a piece of crap! I Love him, With or without his disablility... I Alway felt like she looked down on me and my family but that has changed in the last yr and I couldn't be happier!! I want her and Grandpa to be as big of a part of the kids lives as my family is!!

Quoting taKENheart:

Moo_point
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Yep DH and I meet and started dating in 10th grade and then we got along fine. Then when I got pregnant my senior year and DH (who was just bf at the time) broke up with me it all got pretty tough. Trust me we worked hard to stay together. Well for a couple of years we didn't get along at all. When my mother died she was there by myside and our relationship resolved it self. She is my "mom" now.
marmie41
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM
I loved my MIL very much was heart broken when she passed. I spent the last 2 years of her life being her caregiver (24/7). She had alzhimers and the last 9 months she was completely bedridden. Dh and I could not stand the thought of her going into a nursing home. It was horrible to watch her dying everyday right before our eyes. I know she loved me and feel blessed and honored to have been there during the end of her life.

MIL knows that you love her son as she does. Your bond will only get stronger as you two take this journey together with your DH. And that bond will be there after dh is gone. You and she share somerhing very special, and that is your husband. Best of luck to you and dh.
gingermommy86
by Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM
My mother n law hated me when hubs and I were dating.. I think mostly cause he was letting me stay the night with him but he was paying them rent at the time too.. but she loved me once I made him get a place together! ! We have had our ups and downs through the years but she calls me her daughter not in law lol because we are closer than her own daughter.. she would have lost her mind a few times if I hadn't been there. Especially when her husband of 35 years got hurt and had an over a year recovery and still was not fully recovered when he suddenly passed away last year. It has been super hard on her but I try to be there for her as much as I can and let her spend lots of time with our daughter! It makes her happy to spend time with her!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN