Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Trying to get custody of our niece in Texas..

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 10 Replies

We live in North Carolina and our family is in Texas. We are going hom in a week though. My sister in law has a baby with a guy who went to jail on thanksgiving and is awaiting trail to serif he goes to prison again for the second time. 2 days ago my sister in law was arrested. Currently the baby is living with my father in law but the baby needs a more stable environment. My father in law is capable of taking care of her but he is getting married in a week and has a baby on the way and is in the process of moving. So since we are going home we are going to see if she will sign over temporary custody. Also my husband is in the military and the baby has no insurance so we either have to enroll her in deeds and tricare or get her on Medicaid because she needs health insurance. But I just need any advice or help about this and the quickest way possible. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Oh wow, that poor kid. It's great that you want to take her though.
Do you think they will be okay with you taking the baby?
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Get a lawyer
Bretnasmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

The baby daddy is a dead beat. My father in law doesnt mind because he knows that he really cant care for her like we can. And the mom honestly I have no idea.. Its hit or miss..

Quoting withsecond: Oh wow, that poor kid. It's great that you want to take her though.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Bretnasmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM

We have a friend back home in Texas that works for a law firm and is currently in law school. And we have been talking with her about it to see what all our options are.. I'm scared if we go through a lawyer we wont be able to do it in a timely manor. We will only be home for 2 weeks total and if we can just have the mom sign over her rights and file the paper work through the courts I'm hoping we can just do that.. If she tries to fight it I dont know if we will be able to unless my husband can file and get emergency leave approved also.

Quoting teri4lance: Get a lawyer

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

withsecond
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Well I wish you luck and hope everything goes smoothly.

Quoting Bretnasmommy:

The baby daddy is a dead beat. My father in law doesnt mind because he knows that he really cant care for her like we can. And the mom honestly I have no idea.. Its hit or miss..

Quoting withsecond: Oh wow, that poor kid. It's great that you want to take her though.

Bretnasmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

thank you. I hope it does too.. I have never dealt with anything like this but I know that we are seriously the best option for the child.

Quoting withsecond: Well I wish you luck and hope everything goes smoothly.

Quoting Bretnasmommy:

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Quoting Bretnasmommy:

We have a friend back home in Texas that works for a law firm and is currently in law school. And we have been talking with her about it to see what all our options are.. I'm scared if we go through a lawyer we wont be able to do it in a timely manor. We will only be home for 2 weeks total and if we can just have the mom sign over her rights and file the paper work through the courts I'm hoping we can just do that.. If she tries to fight it I dont know if we will be able to unless my husband can file and get emergency leave approved also.

Quoting teri4lance: Get a lawyer

If you don't go through a lawyer - the clerks office won't even talk to you. Friends dh JUST went thru something and they flat out told him they are so overloaded that if he doens't have his lawyer get it together - they aren't even going to look at it. You need to at least speak with a practicing family lawyer to find out what your options are. 

Joanie364
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I don't know about the laws in your state. I live in PA and Children n Youth here could do a home study and grant temporary custody until the mother is in a position to take over if they see she has a job and a home. The children n youth would rather a relative take over than to put the child in a foster home. Good luck. Can you talk to the sil to see if she would sign the appropriate papers?

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Unless he had no rights she can't give you THEIR child to leave the state with. REAL LAWYER
christina122952
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN