Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Fake Trees and Children...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 86 Replies

If you have a fake tree, how do you keep young children from touching it? My three-year-old is very touchy and I'm scared that if I get a fake tree, she'll constantly touch it. Are fake trees really that toxic? Are there lead-free ones?

by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Bump!

tapies2324
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Holie cow. Another thing that is bad for us....damn. I have never heard of that. Bumpity .
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I just learned about it a few weeks ago because someone on this site mentioned it. Thanks for the bump!

Quoting tapies2324: Holie cow. Another thing that is bad for us....damn. I have never heard of that. Bumpity .

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I didn't know they were dangerous? 

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Neither did I til a few weeks ago. They apparently have high levels of lead in them. It's recommended to wash your hands after touching them. But I can't keep an eye on my 3 year old at ALL times so that's what scares me.

Quoting MrsNewman:

Mommy2-3181
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Haha what? They are now bad for you? Lol

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

We have always had fake tree's and they've never caused any health problems with the kids. Besides decorating it, they don't touch it much. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Neither did I til a few weeks ago. They apparently have high levels of lead in them. It's recommended to wash your hands after touching them. But I can't keep an eye on my 3 year old at ALL times so that's what scares me.

Quoting MrsNewman:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM

They have lead in them.

Quoting Mommy2-3181:

Haha what? They are now bad for you? Lol

jeda1429
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

HUH..... I've never heard that fake trees are toxic, but it makes sense because I have chemical sensitivities and my eyes water up when we buy a new one. We also have mold/tree allergies so the health consequences of getting a real one are worse for us than  getting a fake one. That being said my son is twelve so none of us are touching the tree unless we are decorating it.

tapies2324
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I never saw it on here. Could just be a rumor though....maybe started by the Christmas tree growers to boost sales of real trees....getting out my tin foil hat.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)