Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

to keep the tradition because the kids like it? or stop because S/O doesnt?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 384 Replies
8 moms liked this

Every christmas I get the kids pjs, a blanket, a movie, and house shoes from us the rest is from santa. They LOVE it. S/O says its lame. He doesn't like getting them any of those things and says we now have to many movies and blankets. What should we do?

edit: I feel i should add this because many people are saying its too many blankets and movies. We do donate the older blankets. they get to keep 2 yrs worth (2 blankets) plus 1 favorite that they really don't want to give up (3 blankets per kid) thats really not that many. movies we do keep because our children range in ages and we have another on the way. The house shoes they outgrow so those get donated too along with the pjs that don't fit anymore. Part of the reason I want to keep this tradition is that in doing all this donating the kids are learning to care for others. so while doing something they love we are also helping others get things they need and might not otherwise have.

another edit: many of you are asking if it is one movie for the family or one per kid. it is one per kid because honestly none of them like the same thing. one movie for the family wouldn't work because the older ones like movies made for older children and non animated family movies. the 4 yr old doesnt like those things. i think i have decided i am going to keep doing this though because they do love it and its my money. he doesn't work. i really don't feel he should dictate what i get them when i do ask his opinion on the rest. this is something i would like to do for them into adulthood and for their kids too.

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM
10 moms liked this

If it is your money, keep up the tradition. It sounds lovely to me.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I would keep doing it and let him come up with his own tradition with them too then. What does he think you guys should do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaVoo
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM
34 moms liked this

That does sound like a lot of blankets and slippers.. perhaps donate many of them and continue on, also you can sell the videos the kids no longer watch.. that might make SO more ok with the tradition.. I personally think it sounds like a great tradition :)

CafeMom Tickers
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM
6 moms liked this
Wow, I didn't realize that anyone would actually marry the Grinch. (Kidding). I think he's being ridiculous.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
7 moms liked this

Keep the tradition. Christmas is about the kids, your SO can kiss your ass.

(Is he the kids dad?)

mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM
4 moms liked this

I'd say keep up the tradition and maybe donate some of the surplus blankets and DVD's.  Odds are that the kids will be around longer than S/O.  If he doesn't like what you do, he should have an alternative or he's just being a grouch.

Sparkler16
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I would tell him that's too bad. It's about the children, tradition and making memories.
SilverFire85
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM
3 moms liked this
You can never have too many movies. :p If the kids like it, keep doing it. Christmas is about family and being together. That tradition is one I'm going to start this year. So I say keep going with it! If Mr. Grinch doesn't like it, then he doesn't have to participate. ;)
evilangel198431
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Nothing he doesn't think traditions are important or that the kids really like them

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: I would keep doing it and let him come up with his own tradition with them too then. What does he think you guys should do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
evilangel198431
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM
We do donate some of the old ones. Movies get passed down because we have kids of all ages. He just views those things as wasted gifts. His view is that could be 4 more toys under the tree per kid. I have asked the kids if they want to stop this tradition and they always say no they love it

Quoting MommaVoo:

That does sound like a lot of blankets and slippers.. perhaps donate many of them and continue on, also you can sell the videos the kids no longer watch.. that might make SO more ok with the tradition.. I personally think it sounds like a great tradition :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN