Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

And,she is STILL arguing

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM
  • 21 Replies

My mother that is!My 12 year old has Celiac,he was diagnosed two years ago.My hubby and I decided early on that we would talk to Brian,explain the things he could/couldn't eat.And do our best to help him make the right choices.I can't be with him 24/7,he needs to be able to decide for himself what to eat or not to eat,(sorry couldn't help it-lol)

We only picked his food out for him for the first 4 months,while we were all learning about Celiac.Brian knows what makes him sick and what doesn't,if it is something he has never seen before he knows to either read the wrapper or ask the person who made it.

Mom doesn't seem to like the way we are handling this.She wants me to force feed him certain things and refuse to let him eat anything "fun". (Brian's way of describing how my mom wants him to eat.)

My point is this :Brian is 12,he will be 13 the begininng of Febuary.I can NOT and will NOT follow him around like you would a toddler telling him not to put things in his mouth! 

So,should I continue the way I'm doing things or should I do what my mom wants and not ever give him the chance to learn what HIS body will tolerate?

by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SHORTSHORT
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Bump
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I think what u are doing is fine... he will need to learn himself eventually anyways... Trial and error...

Becky.Mom.of.2
by Platinum Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Quoting indianamom1985:

I think what u are doing is fine... he will need to learn himself eventually anyways... Trial and error...

LuckyLady0427
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM
You're correct,imo
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:38 AM

There are tons of things he can have that are 'fun" but safe for him to eat.  Celiac is just gluten free correct?   I agree that he needs to learn how to handle his body just like any other disorder or illness a person has.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Well,thank you guys.My mom was making me doubt that decision...

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Yeah,I know.But, no amount of explaining will help mom understand that not all grains have gluten. How are you tonight?

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are tons of things he can have that are 'fun" but safe for him to eat.  Celiac is just gluten free correct?   I agree that he needs to learn how to handle his body just like any other disorder or illness a person has.

norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Youre right. She's a poo head.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
invisibleme
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Good job. Stick to your plan he's old enough to handle
This.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Long story short.  I am doing fine.  Everyone is in bed already but me.  My tummy is messing with me.

Quoting brandyblx:

Yeah,I know.But, no amount of explaining will help mom understand that not all grains have gluten. How are you tonight?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN