Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Saying NO to Christmas based on behavior?

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 36 Replies

What are your thoughts on telling a 14 year old he isnt getting anything for Christmas because he is disrespectful at home and failing at school?

by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Avarah
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Sounds like an appropriate response.
imuney
by Platinum Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Quoting Avarah: Sounds like an appropriate response.

based on age?

Avarah
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM
4 moms liked this
Based on good parenting (do not reward bad behavior) and, though I'm no expert, the rules of Christmas - naughty kids get lumps of coal.

Mostly the first.
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM

No, I would not do this.  Punish or help some other way.  I'd probably not buy him a huge gift, but something that will make him happy that isn't overboard.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think that Christmas gifts should be tied to good behavior.  It would make everyone sad and would not teach him that he needs to do better.  Perhaps you could ask him what he thought that someone who is disrespectful should expect to get for Christmas. Perhaps you could get him something that would help with his school work, such as books, or something that he is interested in, such as ... some sports equipment,  or if he likes bikes or cars, a book about these. But taking away his Christmas is too much.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Sometimes, you just gotta let go of the ordinary crappy days and celebrate from the heart.

connie45
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Gift him a tutor.

taKENheart
by Flovely on Dec. 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM
2 moms liked this

This is such a hard one to have to decide how to deal with.  I don't think I would use Christmas as a teaching tool.  Perhaps it should be an example to him as a forgiving holiday and a new start for the new year.  I might not get anything expensive but I wouldn't not get gifts.  I most likely didn't have the same situation as you so I can't really say what I would do.  I can only assume what I would do.  I wish you all the best wishes and good luck with this.  I hope you all can still have a good Christmas. Hugs!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM

this :)

Quoting Bmat:

I don't think that Christmas gifts should be tied to good behavior.  It would make everyone sad and would not teach him that he needs to do better.  Perhaps you could ask him what he thought that someone who is disrespectful should expect to get for Christmas. Perhaps you could get him something that would help with his school work, such as books, or something that he is interested in, such as ... some sports equipment,  or if he likes bikes or cars, a book about these. But taking away his Christmas is too much.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM

this too :)

Quoting DissieDothe:

Sometimes, you just gotta let go of the ordinary crappy days and celebrate from the heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)