Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What do you really celebrate?

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM
  • 103 Replies

Inspired by the "Angel Tree" post....
What winter holidays do you celebrate? Do they have religious significance, or is it just "family, tradition, and gift-giving"?
Do you call it Christmas, even if you aren't Christian/don't believe in Christ/never mention Jesus?
Do you also celebrate Hanukkah/Ramadan/Solstice even if you aren't Jewish/Muslim/Pagan?
Does it ever feel like Christmas has been taken over by the Consumers? Has it lost its identity as a Christian holy day?
Be nice!

*ETA: Is there anyone out there who doesn't celebrate any winter holidays at all? If you don't have a religion, do you just treat December as any other month and just go on with your life?

Why is Christmas the "default"?

by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MickeyC.
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I only celebrate Christmas. I was raised Christian, but I'm not necessarily "saved", so it does have some religious significance to me. I do believe that a lot of people have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas and why we celebrate it. A few days ago, some girl on some social network asked why she has to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas.

amberNewman0213
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:08 PM

its a time that family gets together and gets eachother gifts. we do the santa with the kids but in no way do i relate christmas to jesus or anything like that.

romab1126
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
We celebrate our Lord Jesus Christ. I'm aware that he was actually born in the summer and Christmas was originally a pagan holiday. That changes nothing for me. Merry Christmas!
goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
We celebrate yule, it is religious. We are Norse pagan or heathen or asatru depending on who you ask. We. Normally just heathen or asatru.
ERMDK
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Can I ask why you call it Christmas? Would you like a holiday that is "designed" to celebrate the warmth of family during the cold, dark days of winter, without getting mixed up in the birth of Christ?

Quoting amberNewman0213:

its a time that family gets together and gets eachother gifts. we do the santa with the kids but in no way do i relate christmas to jesus or anything like that.

ERMDK
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Yule, yes, thank you! I knew Solstice wasn't quite right, but I was having a brain freeze on that one.
Happy Yule!

Quoting goodnightmama: We celebrate yule, it is religious. We are Norse pagan or heathen or asatru depending on who you ask. We. Normally just heathen or asatru.
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romab1126: We celebrate our Lord Jesus Christ. I'm aware that he was actually born in the summer and Christmas was originally a pagan holiday. That changes nothing for me. Merry Christmas!

goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Thank you, happy yule to you as well. Not all pagans celebrate yule. Our yule is twelve days long, thirteen if you count mother night. Others celebrate just the solstice.

Quoting ERMDK: Yule, yes, thank you! I knew Solstice wasn't quite right, but I was having a brain freeze on that one.

Happy Yule!

Quoting goodnightmama: We celebrate yule, it is religious. We are Norse pagan or heathen or asatru depending on who you ask. We. Normally just heathen or asatru.
ERMDK
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:23 PM
That's funny! Well, kind of sad. I'm not saying I feel sad for people who are not Christians. I'm sad that people don't understand what they are celebrating, or why it's called "Christmas".

Quoting MickeyC.:

I only celebrate Christmas. I was raised Christian, but I'm not necessarily "saved", so it does have some religious significance to me. I do believe that a lot of people have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas and why we celebrate it. A few days ago, some girl on some social network asked why she has to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas.

ERMDK
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Thanks for the information. No snark at all. I mean that very sincerely!

Quoting goodnightmama: Thank you, happy yule to you as well. Not all pagans celebrate yule. Our yule is twelve days long, thirteen if you count mother night. Others celebrate just the solstice.

Quoting ERMDK: Yule, yes, thank you! I knew Solstice wasn't quite right, but I was having a brain freeze on that one.

Happy Yule!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)