Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Newly Pregnant and Scared! :-o

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

I found out last weekend that we (hubby and I) are expecting. Monday we had everything confirmed by the doctor and a blood test said I am anywhere from 4-6 weeks (at the time the blood test was done.) This would be our second child, our daughter turned 6 in October. Last summer I suffered a miscarriage at around 8-10 weeks, so of course we are slightly concerned about it happening a second time. The worst part is that I am experiencing things that I have never experienced before with the other two pregnancies and I am not sure if these are pregnancy or other-cause related. After my miscarriage last summer I was put on anti-anxiety medication and became fairly dependant on it to not have anxiety or panic attacks, it was a benzodiazapine that is a class-D medication. When we found out we were expecting, I stopped the medication because every resource said it very bad and not to be touched while pregnant, even when my doctor told me that SOMETIMES it is better to take the medication if it is NEEDED than to deal the issues of stopping it cold-turkey. I have had anxiety so horrible over the last week that it has felt more like 8 MONTHS of pregnancy instead of the actual 8 DAYS that we have known. I am VERY dizzy 24/7 (which I had before the pregnancy as a side-effect of the heart medication I take and have to continue taking through the pregnancy) everything I've read about stopping a benzo medication says that dizziness can be expected, but it is also common in pregnancy because of the blood, fluid, and hormone increases. I can't keep anything down, I am sick all the time which can either be pregnancy and hormone related, but also can come from the medication withdrawals and the panic/anxiety attacks I'm having all of the time. I can't think clearly, I feel like I'm in a 'fog', but I'm not sure if it is pregnancy related or not. I don't have an OBGYN yet because I wasn't far enough along to have my 1st appointment, although I DO have one lined up. My family doctor isn't a good resource right now, and even though going to the ER may seem like the best thing to do, I don't think so. It's so hard to know what is being caused from lack of a medication and what is being caused by increasing hormones, and the last thing I need right now are people sticking me with IV's, and making 'educated guesses' right now. They don't have a word for how I feel right now, 'terrified' doesn't seem to be good enough. My husband and mother are trying to comfort me and be here for me, but right now I can't find much comfort in anything. I know that not a lot of ladies have experienced this before, so there really isn't a whole lot of advice available to me, but any and all is welcome at this point. Thanks for reading.

by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM

i don't have much advice but I'll pray for you andb your little one if that's ok  and give you a bump.

h_carter78
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Hi! I am so sorry your worried...I have to say I would be to although I have never had a miscarriage I am on anxiety meds and you just cant come right off of them, but for the babys sake you have to. You will probaly feel withdrawls for a few weeks and its hard to tell if your dizzy from the withfrawl because I stayed dizzy alot in my 4 pregnancies! If your terrified maybe consider more about going to the ER so you can be at peace with alot that your worried about because stress isnt good for the baby. Your going to be just fine, you and your precious child. I am praying for you and your family. Again please think more of going to the ER so you can be at ease..tell them what you dont want which is guesses!  Trust God! Blessings!

jnbmommy27
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm praying for you and your child trust God he will never give you more than you can handle. I alsotake aanxiety medicine just pray you will be fine:-)
winn-winn
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Thank you ladies all so much for replying. Your words really have helped and the power of prayer is an amazing  thing. Thank you so much for including us in yours!  

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM
When I came off of benzos I had the foggy feeling and brain zaps. My doctor told me to take Benadryl to help the symptoms...and it totally worked. I wasn't pregnant, though. Benadryl is generally considered safe for pregnancy, so maybe ask your doctor if that is an option. Hope you feel better soon!
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I can help you!!! I have natural anxiety remedies, safe for pregnancy that will change your life, I have tons of options for you just pm me and I will hook u up with info! I take anxiety/depression meds as well. I am so glad to know what I do though I am working to get off this med. But I can still help you detox and then replace the med. message me I will find you tomorrow!

Donnielle55
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM
I understand totally I had a miscarriage and didn't know I was pregnant then I found I was pregnant with my son at three months u need slot of rest and maybe some relaxing music to breadth and relax feel better
Avajay2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 6:48 AM
What you are experiencing is withdrawal. I did the same thing when I got pregnant. You can ask your ob/gyn if there is anything she can do but you may just have to ride it out. Hope you feel better.
MommaVoo
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Just here to confirm that Benedryll is same during pregnancy. I had to take it for sinus issues 1st-2nd trimester and now am taking it to sleep better 2 times a week in ate pregnancy. This was what my doctor told me to do.

The anxiety I can only help a little with and not directly. I was on antidepressants and pain meds for my Fibromyalgia and had to stop before I started trying to get pregnant. So my advice is more for IF you lose this one(hopefully not!) and you want to try again. If this happens feel free to message me. Hopefully I dont here from you.. no offence =D I agree with a few here that say your symptoms are withdrawls BUT I think they are compounded by the pregnancy. Talk to that OB asap and see if there is something you can take for that. *hugs* and GOOD LUCK!!!

Quoting Kylie819: When I came off of benzos I had the foggy feeling and brain zaps. My doctor told me to take Benadryl to help the symptoms...and it totally worked. I wasn't pregnant, though. Benadryl is generally considered safe for pregnancy, so maybe ask your doctor if that is an option. Hope you feel better soon!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN