Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

tonight i was at wal mart getting some things for dinner. i was in the self checkout area. a woman walked up with a sleeping toddler in her basket, sleeping on a pillow pet. the cashier watching the area noticed the sleeping child and pulled the tag off so the mother could pay for it without waking him. the mother then says "oh i am not buying that for him, it just kept him quiet". then she woke the child up and gave the pillow pet to the cashier in front of him with him reaching for it and crying. why do people do this? it seems cruel to me to let a child think they are going to get a new toy only to take it away from them before leaving the store. do any of you ladies do this? if so why? i am just curious as i have never thought of giving one of my kids a toy to keep them quiet if i had no intention of buying it.

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Cmyfantasyworld
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Nope.. totally cruel. I have never and would never do that to my kids. 

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:02 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not only lazy, it's trashy and mean.

When I buy something from a store I want it to be UNUSED and new. If I wanted used shit I would shop at a thrift store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Dec. 23, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Quoting Tammi4: No. I never allowed my kids to do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM

WTF?!?!? Not only is that mean to the poor child but seems a little like theft.. she used the product and the child probably drooled on it making it unable to be sold. 

CafeMom Tickers
aarensmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM

i dont let my kids play with toys unless i will be buying it for them, when ds was younger i let him but now if i let the kids touch a toy they think they are keeping it.

Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this
That's lazy parenting. Bring your own toys if you don't intend to buy them one.
I also want to add, I don't agree with feeding your kid something in a store you haven't paid for. You know you're leaving the house, bring a snack from home.
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Lazy is right. Teach them young they don't get everything they want.

Quoting Chloe411:

evilangel198431, You are so on the money!!

That is cruel, not to mention incredibly lazy. Don't placate a child just to make your life momentarily flow smoother! Especially if you have no intention of following through with your promises... 

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I used to work at the Disney Store and people did it all the time. Fun times!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabear81312
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Quoting Paperfishies: It's not only lazy, it's trashy and mean.

When I buy something from a store I want it to be UNUSED and new. If I wanted used shit I would shop at a thrift store.

Yes yes yes!!!!!

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I don't normally. But we ended up doing that yesterday with a stocking that was a dog holding maracas. She was shaking it and having a ball (WE didn't hand it to her, a friend of DH's did). We waited until she put it down and I took it and put it back up...then we checked out and left.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)