Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

tonight i was at wal mart getting some things for dinner. i was in the self checkout area. a woman walked up with a sleeping toddler in her basket, sleeping on a pillow pet. the cashier watching the area noticed the sleeping child and pulled the tag off so the mother could pay for it without waking him. the mother then says "oh i am not buying that for him, it just kept him quiet". then she woke the child up and gave the pillow pet to the cashier in front of him with him reaching for it and crying. why do people do this? it seems cruel to me to let a child think they are going to get a new toy only to take it away from them before leaving the store. do any of you ladies do this? if so why? i am just curious as i have never thought of giving one of my kids a toy to keep them quiet if i had no intention of buying it.

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

So I'm supposed to buy her everything she touches? When your kids go over to a friends house, to you let them take every toy they play with or do you make them leave them when you go home? Most of the time, she ends up getting the toy for Christmas or her birthday and, sometimes, I do buy it for her then. Is it now consireded mean to not buy your child everything that they want? I'm a little unclear on the rules of parenting.

Quoting evilangel198431:

but do you take it away before you leave? seems mean to me

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

My little one plays with toys she picks up off the shelf all the time. It keeps her occupied so what's the big deal?

CafeMom Tickers
evilangel198431
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM
No you're not supposed to let them take their friends toys home but that is explained to them before we go over there. I don't hand my children toys in the store to keep them quiet or entertained. If I have no intention of buying them a toy I don't let them play with one.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

So I'm supposed to buy her everything she touches? When your kids go over to a friends house, to you let them take every toy they play with or do you make them leave them when you go home? Most of the time, she ends up getting the toy for Christmas or her birthday and, sometimes, I do buy it for her then. Is it now consireded mean to not buy your child everything that they want? I'm a little unclear on the rules of parenting.

Quoting evilangel198431:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

My little one plays with toys she picks up off the shelf all the time. It keeps her occupied so what's the big deal?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM

So she's just supposed to sit quietly in the buggy with nothing to do for hours? Most of the time, she alternates toys. Taking them from her has never been a problem.

Quoting evilangel198431: No you're not supposed to let them take their friends toys home but that is explained to them before we go over there. I don't hand my children toys in the store to keep them quiet or entertained. If I have no intention of buying them a toy I don't let them play with one.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting evilangel198431:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

CafeMom Tickers
evilangel198431
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM
2 moms liked this

my kids either bring a toy of their own or yes they do nothing until i am done. hours? they most i have ever had kids in a store to shop is an hour maybe.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

So she's just supposed to sit quietly in the buggy with nothing to do for hours? Most of the time, she alternates toys. Taking them from her has never been a problem.

Quoting evilangel198431: No you're not supposed to let them take their friends toys home but that is explained to them before we go over there. I don't hand my children toys in the store to keep them quiet or entertained. If I have no intention of buying them a toy I don't let them play with one.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting evilangel198431:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM

My baby is only a year old and yes, sometimes it does take a couple of hours. It does not hurt her to put a toy away that she has been playing with. I'm not dragging a bunch of toys with me everywhere I go. It does not traumatize her to be told no or have something taken away from her.

Quoting evilangel198431:

my kids either bring a toy of their own or yes they do nothing until i am done. hours? they most i have ever had kids in a store to shop is an hour maybe.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting evilangel198431:

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

CafeMom Tickers
HunnyBabie
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

No, I don't.  I agree with you that it is cruel and that's why I don't do it.

MommaMaddie486
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I don't. People also feed their kids snacks in the store. That's weird to me too.
mom23heathens
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I don't think it's appropriate to let your child play with a toy you don't intend to buy. Especially something like a pillow pet. That would be considered used in my book and I wouldn't want to buy it after someone else's kid had been all over it.
aiden032809
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM
No, I think It teaches him he can't always get everything he wants and also that just becuz he behaves well at the store doesn't mean I always have to reward him. . . But if I do let him take something from the shelf he gets to keep it
Sister_Someone
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Haven't, wouldn't, but not for the reasons you stated. The reason why I've never let mine do that is because I think it's just plain wrong to use something you have no intention of paying for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN