Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

tonight i was at wal mart getting some things for dinner. i was in the self checkout area. a woman walked up with a sleeping toddler in her basket, sleeping on a pillow pet. the cashier watching the area noticed the sleeping child and pulled the tag off so the mother could pay for it without waking him. the mother then says "oh i am not buying that for him, it just kept him quiet". then she woke the child up and gave the pillow pet to the cashier in front of him with him reaching for it and crying. why do people do this? it seems cruel to me to let a child think they are going to get a new toy only to take it away from them before leaving the store. do any of you ladies do this? if so why? i am just curious as i have never thought of giving one of my kids a toy to keep them quiet if i had no intention of buying it.

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
cLanief
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this
No. If we aren't buying it it doesnt get taken from where it was found.
Kellie87
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM
No I wouldnt pick that up. I just pick up a regular white pillow, nothing that they will get attached to, or if i have a jacket i will fold it up and let my kids use it.
lovemenot2013
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I do it because I made the mistake of letting my dd walk in the store from 10months. I do get her a cheap 1$ most times or m&ms.She sits if she has something to look at. I have had to by some of the things before. My dd will say please in a very sweet way if she really wants it. 99% of the time she doesn't care.

Quoting evilangel198431:

but do you take it away before you leave? seems mean to me

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

My little one plays with toys she picks up off the shelf all the time. It keeps her occupied so what's the big deal?

LeilaBeansMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Absolutely not. That is just mean. My kids are told before we go into the store if a toy will be allowed or not. As long as I have it clearly explained before we even go in, it usually only takes 1 reminder once we are in the store.
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM

No i dont do that but not because its mean to then take it away ...to me its wrong to use or play with something you are not purchasing and even then my children are raised to know it doesn't come out of the package etc until after its paid for and we are in the car or home.  Bad manners IMO to teach your children

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM

This hardley ever happens, but we usually let them know that they are not buying it and will have to give it back before we leave. My kids are wierd too, they have not ever cried for something in a store. My baby did with candy a few times. But this isn't an issue that I feel like I have had to deal with.

happinessx3
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM

i will tell my daughter she is not getting anything but sometimes i will let her play with something in the carriage and then give it to the cashier and ask her to put it back and my daughter never has a problem cause i already told her she is not getting anything

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

No way, I would never let my child hold/play with a toy that they couldn't have. I have given my child a toy in a store with the intention of buying it, usually because we specifically intended to buy it before we got to the store, but I would never say "Here, play with this and shut up" then take it away before we left. Of all the lessons I want to teach my kids, that's not one of them.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Nope I never allow my kids to mess with stuff as if it's their own while we were shopping. They play at home.
katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Nope I don't do that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)