Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

tonight i was at wal mart getting some things for dinner. i was in the self checkout area. a woman walked up with a sleeping toddler in her basket, sleeping on a pillow pet. the cashier watching the area noticed the sleeping child and pulled the tag off so the mother could pay for it without waking him. the mother then says "oh i am not buying that for him, it just kept him quiet". then she woke the child up and gave the pillow pet to the cashier in front of him with him reaching for it and crying. why do people do this? it seems cruel to me to let a child think they are going to get a new toy only to take it away from them before leaving the store. do any of you ladies do this? if so why? i am just curious as i have never thought of giving one of my kids a toy to keep them quiet if i had no intention of buying it.

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Replies (41-50):
ashybaby87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM

No, that seems mean. If my child can't have it I don't put it in the basket. If I'm considering buying it that's a different story. But if I know up front I have no intentions on purchasing it then it stays on the shelf. 

mrs_patterson
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I don't do that... I'm not into just pacifying my son for my sake. He knows that if I say "No.", it means "No." and that if he throws a fit, we leave the store & he gets in more trouble when we get home. I don't see the point of being cruel to them letting them think they're getting something then ripping it away at the last minute. 

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

No, I don't do that. My kids know we are not going to buy toys when we go to the store. They are allowed to "look" at the toys and maybe touch one of them but they know by now they have to put it back immediately and we are NOT buying it. I would never allow my child to think they are getting something just to shut them up.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I get this vibe that she planned on just taking it if the cashier didn't notice
Charlie557
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I've done that when my daughter was younger to keep her occupied. However I have always verbalized to my child that just because she has something in her hands, doesn't mean I'm going to purchase it. A child throwing a fit about it doesn't automatically mean she told the child she was going to get it.

Uhura
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Nope, they'd only be sleeping on something if they were that dog tired (which considering I fell asleep in the hard rock cafe one time..) and I was going to get it for them.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Jessica020410
by Jessica on Dec. 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Nope, I won't do that.
trainlady
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Never did it never would do it and don't approve of anyone else doing it. I wouldn't put my kids through that. That's like teasing your child. Very stressful.
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM

The big deal is if your kids does something to cause it not to work anymore and you put it back on the shelf, the person that is actually going to buy it gets something that is not only used (by your kid) but broke as well.  I would never let my child have anything if I wasn't going to pay for it.  That's like people that get grapes and let the kid eat them through the store.  By the time they get to the check out, there's not many left in the bag or they just put the bag someone on a shelf and not pay for any of it.  I guess I just don't understand how people think it's ok to let their kid (s) eat through the store or play with something they are not going to buy.  Bring something from home for them to eat or play with.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

My little one plays with toys she picks up off the shelf all the time. It keeps her occupied so what's the big deal?

NDADanceMom
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My  concern would be who is the poor kid that has to get the used , slept on, drooled o pillow pet?  gross.  dont let your kid touch it i you arent buying the toy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)