Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you or will you teach your children to give gifts?

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 30 Replies

When I was growing up, it was expected that we would save our allowance and buy or make presents for everyone in the family, and this is the way I taught my sons.  But I have another young relative, in his mid-20s now, who has never given any of the family a present, yet he has his own house and car, so it is the way he was (or wasn't) taught.

What is your policy about children giving presents?

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM

to me this is the most important part of the holidays with small children.  Erin is only 4 so she doesn't pay yet but she is given a budget, usually 20 bucks, and she is expected to come up with idea and we go shopping.  I did this with my three sons when they were little and then as they got a bit older they where expected to earn and go shopping themselves.  They are now 28 24 and 23 and it tickles me to see how much thought and excitement they put into gift giving to their family memebers THAT is to me what holidays are all about.  

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I agree.  I hadn't thought anything about it, since I was brought up with the expectation that we would all give gifts. And for me the giving is a lot more important than the getting. :)

Quoting erinsmom1964:

to me this is the most important part of the holidays with small children.  Erin is only 4 so she doesn't pay yet but she is given a budget, usually 20 bucks, and she is expected to come up with idea and we go shopping.  I did this with my three sons when they were little and then as they got a bit older they where expected to earn and go shopping themselves.  They are now 28 24 and 23 and it tickles me to see how much thought and excitement they put into gift giving to their family memebers THAT is to me what holidays are all about.  

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I want to add my husbands kids who are now 17 and 15 NEVER even bother with a card or a thank you at holidays.  Its all about what they get.  One Christmas hubby couldn't even get ahold of them for a week and then they didn't even say thankyou.  He chewed them out and their mother got so angry claiming they are children ( they were 15 and 13).  Sadly now he wont even make much of an effort he just sends them a gift card.  :(

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM

:(

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I want to add my husbands kids who are now 17 and 15 NEVER even bother with a card or a thank you at holidays.  Its all about what they get.  One Christmas hubby couldn't even get ahold of them for a week and then they didn't even say thankyou.  He chewed them out and their mother got so angry claiming they are children ( they were 15 and 13).  Sadly now he wont even make much of an effort he just sends them a gift card.  :(

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Me too I LIVE for the looks on their faces.  Let me tell you its alot harder to get that look from a 28 year old and still be on a reasonable budget but that for me was another aspect.  Getting a gift that is personal but not outrageous.  Anyone can get a good gift if you spend thousands or even hundreds of dollars the real trick is to get someone a great meaningful gift on a budget.  :)

Quoting Bmat:

I agree.  I hadn't thought anything about it, since I was brought up with the expectation that we would all give gifts. And for me the giving is a lot more important than the getting. :)

Quoting erinsmom1964:

srehman
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I think it should be done bc they want to not bc I told them to. My oldest asks to give to charity (Salvation Army the one with bells in front if every store). I let her. I've never asked her to, she asks me to and I allow her to do so. Her little sister follows suite! My oldest has always had a good heart though.
waytomanykids10
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Only one my kids buy for is their nana (husband mother).

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
The kids give us gifts but we pay for them. They give each oyther gifts but again we pay. They don't get an allowance and I wouldn't want them to spend birthday money on us. We discuss the meaning behind giving and they know that one day they'll have to pay for the gifts they give.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I give the kids money to shop at the school craft show. They get to pick who they shop for. Also this year my DS7 wrote a book. Its actually really cute, and he wanted to give everyone a copy for Christmas. So I printed off a bunch of copies, made them up into a book and he wrapped them to hand out. 

wissotamum
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
We started buying gifts for family members when we were teenagers with jobs. Right now, in grade school, they give us little homemade things and shop with the other parent to get gifts for a parent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN