Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sex ed for teens...

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I am realizing more and more how little teens know about sex. Like if you take antibiotics while on birth control pills it can make it less effective or not at all and you can totally get pregnant. wierd stuff like that. What are things you wish everyone knew. I think I am going to do a class on it.  I only remember having sex ed in like 7th grade and that was it. It didn't go into detail though about sex in general! ugh. Hoping to cover stuff not normally covered. Can you gals help me think up stuff, like that after the guy ejaculates, you should use a new condom. and be careful not to get semen on the outside of the new one...

What info can you share, common or not, rumors debunked etc.  I want to make sure to cover a lot of bases. I will also look at the planned parenthood info.

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM

BUMP!

lillettemomma
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
That birth control isn't 100% at all....I have gotten pregnant on every birth control there is basically.... according to the doctor it has to do with my body chemistry....The only one that worked for me bc wise was the depo shot and it turned me into a raving lunatic for a year and I gained 25 lbs on it
Retrokitty
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
My school district has awesome sex ed. They do it every year from grade 2-11.
Some things kid should know:
-anal can get you pregnant
-sperm doesn't die when it hits the air
- you should use two forms of birth control
-you must take the pill at the same time everyday for it to be effective.
SweetRascal
by New Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Sex ed really needs to be updated for today's kids. Too many girls are told by boys that oral sex isn't really sex, they forget that you can get all of the sexually transmitted diseases via oral sex also.

MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM

well in this day and age... birth control isnt the devil and it wont make you more sexually active.. oh wait thats for the parents =P

Really how easy and effective IUDs are.. I wish more ppl understood them. So many forms of birth control are chemicals that mess with your body.. its silly not to inform ppl that there is an option that isnt medicine.

CafeMom Tickers
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I don't even want to THINK about sex ed, but alas, I've had to sit my 5 year old and 7 year old boys down and talk to them about some things because the kids on the bus (PreK-5) are telling them things that are all wrong.

And about how fun it is. How in the heck does a kid that young know if it's fun or not?? lol

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Birth control needs to be taken at the same time, every day, and is often not 100% effective at protecting against pregnancy. It also will not protect against STD's. The best way to protect yourself is abstinence (and believe it or not, not all teens are having sex). Oral sex, does count, and you can get an STD/STI from oral. If they love you, they will respect you and wait until you are ready. If they push sex(of any kind) they do not love you and it's abuse.

I fully plan to educate my children as they grow. It cannot be just a one time thing (the "talk"), but an ongoing and open conversation. We homeschool, so to responsibility falls completely on DH and I (which IMHO, should happen regardless of where a child goes to school). We plan to teach abstinence till marriage, and discuss the importance of it. What the ramifications of early sex are physically, mentally, and spiritually. However, we also know that we live in a very imperfect world, and that kids can sometimes mess up. So when they are old enough we will teach them how to be safe and protect themselves. Also, that the decision to have sex falls completly on them. No one else has the right to make that choice for them.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Quoting MommaVoo:

well in this day and age... birth control isnt the devil and it wont make you more sexually active.. oh wait thats for the parents =P

Really how easy and effective IUDs are.. I wish more ppl understood them. So many forms of birth control are chemicals that mess with your body.. its silly not to inform ppl that there is an option that isnt medicine.

dependson the IUD as well, If you have already had a baby it's easier to insert. I have heard if you haven't had a baby that they have to dilate your cervix and that can be a bit painful. Also IUD's are not for people who have multiple partners either.

Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my ! I think sex Ed should be done by the child's parents as the child grows in age appropriate way , and as the school speaks about it answer any questions and add on anything they may have missed. I think to teach abstenance until marriage should be put into their no matter the reliogion of the child it is the only way your a safe 100% from stds and pregnancy 

MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

why not, I had an IUD for 11 yrs(was only supposed to be a 10 yr one but wasnt able to get it out in time) and have never heard that before. The way it works shouldn't be affected by the number of partners at all.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

dependson the IUD as well, If you have already had a baby it's easier to insert. I have heard if you haven't had a baby that they have to dilate your cervix and that can be a bit painful. Also IUD's are not for people who have multiple partners either.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)