Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So I am realizing more and more how little teens know about sex. Like if you take antibiotics while on birth control pills it can make it less effective or not at all and you can totally get pregnant. wierd stuff like that. What are things you wish everyone knew. I think I am going to do a class on it.  I only remember having sex ed in like 7th grade and that was it. It didn't go into detail though about sex in general! ugh. Hoping to cover stuff not normally covered. Can you gals help me think up stuff, like that after the guy ejaculates, you should use a new condom. and be careful not to get semen on the outside of the new one...

What info can you share, common or not, rumors debunked etc.  I want to make sure to cover a lot of bases. I will also look at the planned parenthood info.

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

yes in a perfect world that would work but it has NEVER worked.. I have known SO MANY highly religious families where their teens(the ones taught abstinence) are more sexually active than the ones with all the info. Teenagers rebel.. and people have sex. Children NEED to be informed of their options to PROTECT them.. sheltering them does nothing but create a ticking timebomb.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Oh my ! I think sex Ed should be done by the child's parents as the child grows in age appropriate way , and as the school speaks about it answer any questions and add on anything they may have missed. I think to teach abstenance until marriage should be put into their no matter the reliogion of the child it is the only way your a safe 100% from stds and pregnancy 

CafeMom Tickers
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Definitely look at planned parenthood info. Also, teach them to be responsible for themselves. Don't take the other persons word that they are using protection. Protect yourself then if you both do it you are more likely to not get pregnant or get diseases. Don't forget the diseases that is a most important thing that almost no one thinks about. All they worry about is getting pregnant. And if they get pregnant don't be afraid to ask about abortion or the day after pill. I know we don't like to think about it but kids 13 and 14 are getting pregnant and they don't need to be raising a child. Also their own bodies haven't stopped growing and they need all the things necessary to have a healthy body before they have children so getting pregnant can stop their own health. Also, a lot of females start getting bad teeth when they get pregnant because the baby takes the majority of their calcium and next thing you know they are having a baby before 16 and have a mouth full of cavaties shortyly thereafter. I never had a cavity in my life until I was 21 years old and pregnant and the doctor told me it was because of the baby taking the calcium. I think your idea of a class is wonderful but be sure you have all the facts correct before you start. And be prepared for the most bizarre questions you have ever heard. I took all my kids to planned parent hood when they were 15 each and had the entire thing explained including showing the girls how to put on a condom and we never had any unplanned pregnancies. My friends thought I was nuts and said I was giving them permission to have sex, but I saw it as giving them permission to protect themselves from nature.
Pnukey
by Jennifer on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM

It worked for me, dh, and quite a few of our friends with varying levels of religiousness. Abstinence is the only 100% effective method.

Quoting MommaVoo:

yes in a perfect world that would work but it has NEVER worked.. I have known SO MANY highly religious families where their teens(the ones taught abstinence) are more sexually active than the ones with all the info. Teenagers rebel.. and people have sex. Children NEED to be informed of their options to PROTECT them.. sheltering them does nothing but create a ticking timebomb.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Oh my ! I think sex Ed should be done by the child's parents as the child grows in age appropriate way , and as the school speaks about it answer any questions and add on anything they may have missed. I think to teach abstenance until marriage should be put into their no matter the reliogion of the child it is the only way your a safe 100% from stds and pregnancy 

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

One myth I hear my 7th graders talking about are how they think you can't get pregnant the first time. 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM
There are lots of resources available. Planned Parenthood, the local health department, Our Bodies Ourselves is a great tool too.
MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM

for the masses... it works on a one on one basis but it has never worked for the masses.. understand now?

Quoting Pnukey:

It worked for me, dh, and quite a few of our friends with varying levels of religiousness. Abstinence is the only 100% effective method.

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

CafeMom Tickers
Pnukey
by Jennifer on Dec. 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Oh, I understood the first time, but you said "never" so I thought I'd throw it out there. 

Quoting MommaVoo:

for the masses... it works on a one on one basis but it has never worked for the masses.. understand now?

Quoting Pnukey:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Carmel63
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Parents should be involved in teaching their children about sex, but I also believe that it should be taught in schools.  I view sex as a public health issue.  I do believe that teens should be taught to delay sex, but I do not want them to be taught to wait until marriage.

april678
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM
I believe I was in 5th grade when they taught sex ed. Birth Control pills are not effective, I got pregnant twice while I was on the pill.
april678
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I had a daughter at 20, and anotherr daughter at 22
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)