Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So I am realizing more and more how little teens know about sex. Like if you take antibiotics while on birth control pills it can make it less effective or not at all and you can totally get pregnant. wierd stuff like that. What are things you wish everyone knew. I think I am going to do a class on it.  I only remember having sex ed in like 7th grade and that was it. It didn't go into detail though about sex in general! ugh. Hoping to cover stuff not normally covered. Can you gals help me think up stuff, like that after the guy ejaculates, you should use a new condom. and be careful not to get semen on the outside of the new one...

What info can you share, common or not, rumors debunked etc.  I want to make sure to cover a lot of bases. I will also look at the planned parenthood info.

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
packermom4ever
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I'm teaching my own daughter not to use hormonal birth control because it isn't right for every female and our famiy history shows that females in our family can't use it.  

I'm teaching my children that you can get pregnant or get a girl pregnant even if you, or they are on birth control as no birth control is 100% effective.  While I would hope that will use it if they decide to have sex, not having sex is the 100% sure fire way not get a disease or have a baby.

That sex is also emotional, not just physical.

That they should want people to get to know them for them, not for what they can give others in the bedroom (or car or where ever).  That sex is better with someone you know and know well and even better with someone you love. That it isn't what you see on t.v. o rhear about on the radio.

Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I am not saying sex ed shouldnt be taught i sm saying abstinence should be taught as well during sex ed . the kids need to be informed on everything 

Quoting MommaVoo:

yes in a perfect world that would work but it has NEVER worked.. I have known SO MANY highly religious families where their teens(the ones taught abstinence) are more sexually active than the ones with all the info. Teenagers rebel.. and people have sex. Children NEED to be informed of their options to PROTECT them.. sheltering them does nothing but create a ticking timebomb.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Oh my ! I think sex Ed should be done by the child's parents as the child grows in age appropriate way , and as the school speaks about it answer any questions and add on anything they may have missed. I think to teach abstenance until marriage should be put into their no matter the reliogion of the child it is the only way your a safe 100% from stds and pregnancy 

MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM

it is.. every sex ed class I have heard of tells you the only way to be completely safe is to NOT have sex..

Quoting Stevensmomma:

I am not saying sex ed shouldnt be taught i sm saying abstinence should be taught as well during sex ed . the kids need to be informed on everything 

Quoting MommaVoo:

yes in a perfect world that would work but it has NEVER worked.. I have known SO MANY highly religious families where their teens(the ones taught abstinence) are more sexually active than the ones with all the info. Teenagers rebel.. and people have sex. Children NEED to be informed of their options to PROTECT them.. sheltering them does nothing but create a ticking timebomb.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Oh my ! I think sex Ed should be done by the child's parents as the child grows in age appropriate way , and as the school speaks about it answer any questions and add on anything they may have missed. I think to teach abstenance until marriage should be put into their no matter the reliogion of the child it is the only way your a safe 100% from stds and pregnancy 

CafeMom Tickers
TattooLoveShow
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I wouldn't put an IUD in a teen because of the risk of infertility happened to SIL she wasn't a teen but still.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

well in this day and age... birth control isnt the devil and it wont make you more sexually active.. oh wait thats for the parents =P

Really how easy and effective IUDs are.. I wish more ppl understood them. So many forms of birth control are chemicals that mess with your body.. its silly not to inform ppl that there is an option that isnt medicine.

dependson the IUD as well, If you have already had a baby it's easier to insert. I have heard if you haven't had a baby that they have to dilate your cervix and that can be a bit painful. Also IUD's are not for people who have multiple partners either.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM

that birth control can be deadly? certain bodies react badly with the hormones and create blood clots and what the sympotms are in case it does.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

IT's only reccommended for people who wont be having multiple partners because your risk of uterine infection goes up

Quoting MommaVoo:

why not, I had an IUD for 11 yrs(was only supposed to be a 10 yr one but wasnt able to get it out in time) and have never heard that before. The way it works shouldn't be affected by the number of partners at all.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

well in this day and age... birth control isnt the devil and it wont make you more sexually active.. oh wait thats for the parents =P

Really how easy and effective IUDs are.. I wish more ppl understood them. So many forms of birth control are chemicals that mess with your body.. its silly not to inform ppl that there is an option that isnt medicine.

dependson the IUD as well, If you have already had a baby it's easier to insert. I have heard if you haven't had a baby that they have to dilate your cervix and that can be a bit painful. Also IUD's are not for people who have multiple partners either.

caligirl7613
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM
it doesnt change how it protects against pregnancy.but it also does not protect against stds. i had mine put in after i had my son, and my dr flat out toldme if i wasnt married, he would have refused to insert it.

Quoting MommaVoo:

why not, I had an IUD for 11 yrs(was only supposed to be a 10 yr one but wasnt able to get it out in time) and have never heard that before. The way it works shouldn't be affected by the number of partners at all.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM
this is exactly how my dr explained it to me as well after i had my son. he has some "rules" when it comes to using an IUD and one of them is, you dont have at least 1 child, teen or adult, he wont insert the IUD. course your welcome to find another dr as well

Quoting TattooLoveShow: I wouldn't put an IUD in a teen because of the risk of infertility happened to SIL she wasn't a teen but still.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM

either does the pill.. but its over used and terrible for you. IUDs are MUCH safer but yes I agree it doesnt protect against STDs.. what only condoms and abstience for that?

Quoting caligirl7613: it doesnt change how it protects against pregnancy.but it also does not protect against stds. i had mine put in after i had my son, and my dr flat out toldme if i wasnt married, he would have refused to insert it.

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

CafeMom Tickers
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM

You're just going to randomly offer a sex ed class? Who on earth do you think would come?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)