Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So I am realizing more and more how little teens know about sex. Like if you take antibiotics while on birth control pills it can make it less effective or not at all and you can totally get pregnant. wierd stuff like that. What are things you wish everyone knew. I think I am going to do a class on it.  I only remember having sex ed in like 7th grade and that was it. It didn't go into detail though about sex in general! ugh. Hoping to cover stuff not normally covered. Can you gals help me think up stuff, like that after the guy ejaculates, you should use a new condom. and be careful not to get semen on the outside of the new one...

What info can you share, common or not, rumors debunked etc.  I want to make sure to cover a lot of bases. I will also look at the planned parenthood info.

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
caligirl7613
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM
well hell even condoms dont protect all the time especially MOST are used incorrectly. i think my dr.s opinion was formed more along the line of, if your not with a single partner we all know how things can heat up...and with teens especially they think right away about not getting pregnant 1st nd stds 2nd...so if they have to stop and "think" they may decide to use a condom (which at least will offer some protection) instead of instinctivly going i cant get preggo cuz my IUD so its all good, lets continue....

Quoting MommaVoo:

either does the pill.. but its over used and terrible for you. IUDs are MUCH safer but yes I agree it doesnt protect against STDs.. what only condoms and abstience for that?

Quoting caligirl7613: it doesnt change how it protects against pregnancy.but it also does not protect against stds. i had mine put in after i had my son, and my dr flat out toldme if i wasnt married, he would have refused to insert it.

Quoting MommaVoo:

why not, I had an IUD for 11 yrs(was only supposed to be a 10 yr one but wasnt able to get it out in time) and have never heard that before. The way it works shouldn't be affected by the number of partners at all.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

well in this day and age... birth control isnt the devil and it wont make you more sexually active.. oh wait thats for the parents =P

Really how easy and effective IUDs are.. I wish more ppl understood them. So many forms of birth control are chemicals that mess with your body.. its silly not to inform ppl that there is an option that isnt medicine.

dependson the IUD as well, If you have already had a baby it's easier to insert. I have heard if you haven't had a baby that they have to dilate your cervix and that can be a bit painful. Also IUD's are not for people who have multiple partners either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

true but im talking more on the females end.. many are given the pill like candy or talked into depo prevera(sp?). Of course in the spontaeneous sex for teens a condom would be best but hell you could double up. A lot of places give free condoms.. and others are like OMG YOU CANT GIVE CONDOMS TO KIDS!!! I also tend to completely forget about them as Im alergic to latex >.<

Quoting caligirl7613: well hell even condoms dont protect all the time especially MOST are used incorrectly. i think my dr.s opinion was formed more along the line of, if your not with a single partner we all know how things can heat up...and with teens especially they think right away about not getting pregnant 1st nd stds 2nd...so if they have to stop and "think" they may decide to use a condom (which at least will offer some protection) instead of instinctivly going i cant get preggo cuz my IUD so its all good, lets continue....

Quoting MommaVoo:

either does the pill.. but its over used and terrible for you. IUDs are MUCH safer but yes I agree it doesnt protect against STDs.. what only condoms and abstience for that?

Quoting caligirl7613: it doesnt change how it protects against pregnancy.but it also does not protect against stds. i had mine put in after i had my son, and my dr flat out toldme if i wasnt married, he would have refused to insert it.

Quoting MommaVoo:

why not, I had an IUD for 11 yrs(was only supposed to be a 10 yr one but wasnt able to get it out in time) and have never heard that before. The way it works shouldn't be affected by the number of partners at all.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

well in this day and age... birth control isnt the devil and it wont make you more sexually active.. oh wait thats for the parents =P

Really how easy and effective IUDs are.. I wish more ppl understood them. So many forms of birth control are chemicals that mess with your body.. its silly not to inform ppl that there is an option that isnt medicine.

dependson the IUD as well, If you have already had a baby it's easier to insert. I have heard if you haven't had a baby that they have to dilate your cervix and that can be a bit painful. Also IUD's are not for people who have multiple partners either.

CafeMom Tickers
caligirl7613
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM
yep. my dr had assumed i would want the pill (im sooo not responsible enough for the pill) i actually had to ask him about the mirena. he dint even bring it up

Quoting MommaVoo:

true but im talking more on the females end.. many are given the pill like candy or talked into depo prevera(sp?). Of course in the spontaeneous sex for teens a condom would be best but hell you could double up. A lot of places give free condoms.. and others are like OMG YOU CANT GIVE CONDOMS TO KIDS!!! I also tend to completely forget about them as Im alergic to latex >.<

Quoting caligirl7613: well hell even condoms dont protect all the time especially MOST are used incorrectly. i think my dr.s opinion was formed more along the line of, if your not with a single partner we all know how things can heat up...and with teens especially they think right away about not getting pregnant 1st nd stds 2nd...so if they have to stop and "think" they may decide to use a condom (which at least will offer some protection) instead of instinctivly going i cant get preggo cuz my IUD so its all good, lets continue....

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM

see THAT is my issue lol.. even if you are responsible enough for the pill its a chemical you DONT NEED! I tried it once before I knew about IUDs and bled the entire two weeks I was on it.. NO TY!! Personally I think its because Drs get a kickback from the pill makers and IUD lasts so long that there really isnt a kickback or that it isnt as profitable.

Quoting caligirl7613: yep. my dr had assumed i would want the pill (im sooo not responsible enough for the pill) i actually had to ask him about the mirena. he dint even bring it up

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

CafeMom Tickers
caligirl7613
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM
idk if they do or dont but th pill was too many issues as far as remembering to take it each day at the same time etc...plus i had a few issus that were not a great option with the pill, like high bp and i smoked ciggs (have since stopped)

Quoting MommaVoo:

see THAT is my issue lol.. even if you are responsible enough for the pill its a chemical you DONT NEED! I tried it once before I knew about IUDs and bled the entire two weeks I was on it.. NO TY!! Personally I think its because Drs get a kickback from the pill makers and IUD lasts so long that there really isnt a kickback or that it isnt as profitable.

Quoting caligirl7613: yep. my dr had assumed i would want the pill (im sooo not responsible enough for the pill) i actually had to ask him about the mirena. he dint even bring it up

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Buggy979
by Danette on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You are wasting your breath.. teens do not care about anything but sex. They are not going to listen and if you haven't been teaching and talking about sex Since birth then they will not remember a thing. But then again if you have been talking and teaching since birth they still don't care because they are invisible. . Teens have sex on the brain 24/7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Not sure if you know this or not, but there are some IUD's that are hormonal and have just as many chemicals in them as the bc pill does.
lesalmi
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Girl on top does not prevent pregnancy... gravity doesn't make the swimmers fall out...

Pull and pray is not an effective method of birth control. (not unless paired with natural family planning)
Mother-Ship
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I am actually a pregnant teen right now. ( I am 15) and we have plenty of sexual education at my school. Yet it didnt stop me along with 4-6 other girls from getting pregnant. Just because we get pregnant way earlier than a teen should doesnt mean we don't know much about it. We know alot more than you think, not just about 'how to' but we know what can prevent it, we even know little tricks to enhance birth control, but we're being irresponsible and not using the information we know. So its not that we lack information, we just lack TAKING ACTION. Just thought I'd put in a teens perspective! 

MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 4:33 AM

I do.. but they arent needed, the ones without work just as well

Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Quoting MommaVoo:

Not sure if you know this or not, but there are some IUD's that are hormonal and have just as many chemicals in them as the bc pill does.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)