Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

step children

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 7 Replies
Im a step mom and I have four step daughters. I try hard to be a good step mom and want them to have a positive relationship with me and my 6yr daughter. But im tried of trying to build a relationship someone who don't really want it. My step daughters are 25,13,12&10. Oldest one have a different mother than the younger ones. What can I do? I want my daughter to have relationship but im tried of trying. I havent made my husband aware because he dont understand and knows some of the encounters we have had. Please give me some advice
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Depends on what type of relationship that you are trying to build.  It's the little everyday things that bond people together.  You don't say if the kids live with you or visit. 

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

It is a hard job, being a stepmom. Check out this group, mabe it will help.

happyolechimp
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
may never happen....since it takes more than one to build these relationships...it takes everyone....cooperating...i thought i had that relationship with stepsons...after 24 yrs....they are vipers....more time trying..
more hurt...
but i wish you well..hun
CrunchMaMaBear
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a sm and it sucks. Period. It is the most thankless job you can think of. I have two step sons and we get along pretty good, but its still a hard job. It is hard having no say in a child's life who has so much effect on your life. Stay positive and dont try so hard. Try to be more of a fun aunt then paternal figure.
tndgreen
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the little encouraging words

Quoting happyolechimp: may never happen....since it takes more than one to build these relationships...it takes everyone....cooperating...i thought i had that relationship with stepsons...after 24 yrs....they are vipers....more time trying..

more hurt...

but i wish you well..hun
tndgreen
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Good idea be an aunt instead of a second mom. But all I want is a friendship. Not much to ask for

Quoting CrunchMaMaBear: I'm a sm and it sucks. Period. It is the most thankless job you can think of. I have two step sons and we get along pretty good, but its still a hard job. It is hard having no say in a child's life who has so much effect on your life. Stay positive and dont try so hard. Try to be more of a fun aunt then paternal figure.
tndgreen
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM
No they don't live with me they visit every so often. Especially when they want something. . Least the three younger ones. The oldest is 25 and she visit only once a year on my daughter birthday. But I just noticed that she try to enact with the others more than my daughter. Point is I brought all of them together. She met my daughter first. And only time she will see the others is when they are with us. So it is puzzling why all of them want to interact but not my daughter. One things I need to bring to everyone attention. My daughter do not favored them at all but they favor. . I wonder is it jealousy

Quoting DissieDothe:

Depends on what type of relationship that you are trying to build.  It's the little everyday things that bond people together.  You don't say if the kids live with you or visit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)