Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm gonna have to be "that" neighbor :/

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 21 Replies

So we have these cats living under our home. We called the SPCA and were told they are not taking cats, the no kill shelter got shut down, and the SPCA/ Animal control told us just to leave them alone. Try to keep them out from under the house and they would eventually go away. Stray cats/feral cats are a big problem in our area.

I was sitting in my living room and watched my neighbor come out with two bowls of food!!!!!! She is feeding the strays in our area. We thought they were on board with the whole "we need to get rid of these cats" thing since DH talked to her husband about it. He complained about them as well. However, he is not here during the week, so I doubt he knows she is feeding them. I hate to be that kind of neighbor, but come on!!! My back yard smells like cat urine, and they are killing my plants, and getting into the trash.

Is there some kind of scent that will keep cats away? Like they sell stuff for deer and rabbits....do they sell stuff for stray cats?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Usually anything citrusy will keep cats away.

fliptopz4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM

get a dog, a big one.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Quoting fliptopz4:

get a dog, a big one.

I have a dog....she's a wimp and runs from the cats,lol. I was actually worried that she would flip out when they started coming around, but she is scared of them.

fliptopz4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting RheaF:

Quoting fliptopz4:

get a dog, a big one.

I have a dog....she's a wimp and runs from the cats,lol. I was actually worried that she would flip out when they started coming around, but she is scared of them.

Sorry but thats funny.

mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM

They won't leave as long as they have a place to shelter and are being fed.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM

That's what I am afraid of. We are getting some chicken wire this weekend, just to make sure there are no holes or any way they can get back under the house. However, if she keeps feeding them, they will never leave. I went out and cleaned the corner they were coming in and out of (it smells AWFUL!) and tried to close it up and block it as best as I could.

Quoting mikesmom65270:

They won't leave as long as they have a place to shelter and are being fed.

spitfire06
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Go to Petco or pet smart they sell citrus spray to keep cats away from certain areas
aj23
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Put aluminum foil on the ground near where they go under the house at and under the house if it's easy to get to.
I have 4 cats who mostly stay outdoors and sleep on the porch and the foil is how we trained them to stay off the furniture inside and out and out of the garden and driveway.  It scares them when they step on it.

(and before anyone makes a fuss about the cats being outdoors they are fixed and have access to a warm garage and a warm covered porch and I have a lot of land so the have plenty of places to roam without bothering anyone, they come in when they want to which is rare unless it's really cold. I also have 3 large dogs that are treated the same way)

krista778
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM

There is a spray called Natures Miracle, it deionizes the smell and makes it so they don't want to go there again. Its sold at PetsMart and PetCo. We got a huge bottle of it with a mechanical sprayer for my daughters room when my dog decided that was his personal potty. It works on cats too!

JustMeKat
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:01 AM

cyanne pepper, sprinkle it where they are going in, if you can under the plants an if your yard smells like cat urine then males are spraying everything, make a spray bottle of amonia an water spray your fences rocks just stay way from your plants with that !! Also look up a farrell rescue. They will trap them get them fixed an give them to people like me who need barn cats. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN