Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Chores, Allowances, Paying for Chores

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am looking at changing up the chore boards and chore system to see if I can get my kids to follow them a bit better.  I have found a few blogs with chores boards and chore ideas and what not that I like. Take a little from each one to hopefully get something that will work for me/us.

My boys are 12 and 9 and my little girl is 4.

Pertaining to your house, I know everyone views things differently and their kids do different chores:

What are chores you would say they NEED to do

What are chores you would consider paying them for?

Is an allowance something you give them or is like paying them for their chores?

by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Mine are 4 and almost 6 and we are just starting to learn about money so we haven't really started an allowance. Their chores are cleaning their rooms and playroom, putting their laundry in the hamper, clearing their dishes and general picking up after themselves at this point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tonya_Lynn84
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: Mine are 4 and almost 6 and we are just starting to learn about money so we haven't really started an allowance. Their chores are cleaning their rooms and playroom, putting their laundry in the hamper, clearing their dishes and general picking up after themselves at this point.

Thanks for the input.

My boys are 9 and 12 and I am just now trying to teach them about money, a little late.

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM
My 12 yr old ds is in charge of his bathroom, bathroom garbage, and bedroom. Also does his own laundry. Same with all my kids. House hold chores
17 yrs old- emptys dishwasher, cleans counters
12 yr old- takes out garbage, picks up living room
10 yr old- picks up stairs, feeds and waters animals
6 yr old- helps brother with bedroom and picks up play room toys
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Dec. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
They pick up rooms, load and unload the dishwasher, check dog food and water, and put their laundry away. The get $10 a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tonya_Lynn84
by Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

BUMP!

Lindalou907
by New Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:01 AM

My kids didn't get an allowance, they had to work for money. Today they are all adults and very good with money, and good savers, that is what worked for our family. They had to wash the cars and mow the lawns and keep their rooms picked up. I wish I had taught them how to clean the bathrooms! My daughter used to get out of doing her chores a lot, I wish I had been firmer with her, she tells me today I was easy to manipulate. She's home for Christmas and last night she told me all she had to do to get out of chores while she was in high school was tell me she was "researching scholarships and colleges" or "had a paper to write" and she was really just fooling around on the computer :)

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

We are struggling with this. She is 7, and has no concept of responsibility or money. I know that is our fault, but we are going to do better this year.

Linda92silva
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Chores needed to be done....
1. Trash needs to be taken out
2. They need to help pick up after meals
3. They need to keep their room tidy
4. They need to help bring groceries in

I think allowance is something given as a encouragement. I used to get allowance for keeping my grades up and having good attendance In school. It was only $15 dollars but I don't feel like kids need much more than that.
Pnukey
by Jennifer on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

DD is 13. DS is 8. Both have to tend to their own laundry and keep their own rooms clean (but they get to decide when it's clean enough). They have to clean the bathroom they share. They have to let me know when they are out of bathroom supplies (tp, tooth paste, shampoo, etc...)

DD empties the trash and takes it to the curb. DS puts new bags in trash cans.
DD washes all the dishes & puts away the high up and breakable dishes. DS puts away the lower cabinets and plastic (kid) dishes. 
DD folds the big towels & puts them away. DS does the same with the small towels.

They also do random chores like cleaning door knobs or vacuuming the floor.

They do not get paid for chores and will not. 

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine are still too little for a steady allowance, but we have them clean their room/playroom, put their dishes away, and put their laundry in the hamper. DS likes to help with the laundry, but he's not required to, (as he's only 3). I really don't like giving money to kids for doing what they're supposed to do anyways, so I'm thinking when they get older we'll have "base chores" which have to be done, like cleaning their common areas, cleaning up after themselves, et cetera, and "extra chores" to earn an allowance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)