Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Allowance

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

So my in-laws think I am giving my 5-year old too much for his allowance.  For $1 a week he has to take a bath when told, brush his teeth when told, eat a respectable amount of dinner, keep his playroom and toyroom clean and go to bed on time.  Does this all sound reasonable?  To df and I it does but I dunno.

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

If you and his father agree no one else opinion matters. I dont believe in allowance. I esp wouldn't give it for taking a bath or other personnel hygiene. I would never give it for eating . I feel those are normal behaviors every child should learn to do.  what happens if you decide to stop it ? he stops bathing brushing and eating ?

babyblujems
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM

No those are things he has to do normally.  Basically it was you have to keep your room clean, pick up after yourself and listen and most times that's all he is really told to do.  However, he does have problems with eating.  He spends a lot of time with his grandparents and they always make extra food options just for him and I don't believe in doing this so sometimes he whines when I feed him.

MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM
My kids get $1 a week and they have a good amount of chores. They are 9 and 5.

But whatever you and your dh agree on is fine.
katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I don't believe in allowance. I expect them to help out in the house because they live in the house and make messes too.

But to each his own. $1 is a good amount for a 5 yr old for what you are asking.
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I think it sounds reasonable. We started giving our kids an allowance this year because my son was struggling with reading and spelling in school. It's amazing how motivated some kids are by money, lol. He rarely misses spelling words and his reading level has increased. They are 6 and 8.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

1 dollar a week? To me that seems too "cheap" but if it works for your family go for it.  DD does not have her chores tied in with allowance.  She can always earn more money but she gets a flat 5 dollars a week usually.  She is 7.

andersongirl562
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Considering my kids do all that plus more and dont get paid at all I think your son is getting a good deal.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Not all kids are the same. Some don't care about things like hygiene. My daughter has autism and never cares about brushing her teeth or washing her hair. I never thought to give her money to motivate her. That's an excellent idea lol

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

If you and his father agree no one else opinion matters. I dont believe in allowance. I esp wouldn't give it for taking a bath or other personnel hygiene. I would never give it for eating . I feel those are normal behaviors every child should learn to do.  what happens if you decide to stop it ? he stops bathing brushing and eating ?

jconney80
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM
There is no way in the world $1/ week allowance is too much for a 5 year old IMO. I think it's reasonable! I wouldn't worry about what they think.
kayci226
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM

However much the parent would want to give there own child is up to them! whether its $1 or $5! Heck I'm sure at times kids can be motivated as well by saying you'll get them something very "special" whether its a movie, "big toy", out even a treat going out to eat! In my opinion I think the $1 or $5 idea is a great idea! It teaches young kids at an early age responsibility, saving of money, when they work for something they get rewarded just as adults work to get paid. Its always good to teach children responsibility, how to manage money, that mom & dad don't always have money to give all the time, to earn what they would really like, not becoming spoiled by learning they have to earn the things they would really want! To do there chores get good grades ect . . I believe a child most certainly if anything deserves to be "noticed" of the good things & how they help out in the household!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)