Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When someone is paying for your meal do you...

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM
  • 94 Replies
1 mom liked this
order the most expensive meal?

Do you look at the price at all? Do you try to stay within a certain range?

Last night his whole family and my family ordered "filet mignon and lobster plus a side of sushi, upgrade to a soup" because "they've never tried it before". We took everyone out for DS' birthday. It really pisses me off because half of them didn't even finish or bother to bring it home because they "don't do leftovers". If they ordered it because that's what they really wanted I would probably be okay...but they just wanted to order it because they would never dare order something so expensive on their own dime.

When someone pays for our meal I noticed DH always get something small like a pasta or a soup & salad. I always get something mid priced like a burger or a sandwich. I think it would be embarrassing to order something $50!

They do it every time. To the point where I really don't want to ever invite anyone out to dinner. DH says I am greedy and too focused on money and if you invite someone to dine they should be able to get whatever you want. (Which is funny because he will never order more than a damn salad when someone pays for his meal lol).

I just think it's easy for DH to say...when I'm the only one working. *sigh* time to put in some extra hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zoiksandaway
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM
4 moms liked this
super rude of those folks you took out.

i reminds me of situations in a bar. Someone kindly buys a person his or her's next drink, or maybe even a drink for everyone in the bar, and there is always a doofus asshole amongst the recipients who, instead of ordering another beer like they were drinking, will use the other person's generosity as an excuse to purchase something thrice the cost.

It is the basest most ignorant example of human greed.

I am sorry that you have such losers in your family. But you are very kind to have tolerated their extravagance on your nickel.
1stpreggers
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:46 AM
I'd stop inviting them out . No I wouldn't order the most exPensive item.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tammi4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM
4 moms liked this
I order in the same price range as the people paying. I'm usually the one paying though but I haven't had that problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennkrzyz
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Yep, totally there! Although usually its them inviting us out, and then the bill comes and they usually make a comment about Dh making more money. We usually pick up the tab.
Sorry to jump on your post, I can just relate and I got annoyed for you.
M.I.H
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:43 AM
When we are with my mil and bil we pay for everything and they order the most expensive meal available. Mind you my husband is active duty navy and doesnt make that much. It drives me nuts since I always order the cheapest especially since I know they are going to go crazy. With my fil he pays for everything and he'll order whatever you say looks interesting just to try it. I always send him a thank you card after we've been out with him.
Rhodin
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM
5 moms liked this

Take them out to McDonald's.  I'm sure they never tried $6 hamburgers, either.

4everJs
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM
During my son's Christening the drink choices were soda, juice, or water. There was a special menu but we asked that they weren't placed on the tables (it wasn't a package deal, we paid for everything individually).

Well ONE person found a special menu and ordered fresh coconut juice (in the shell with an umbrella).

Well EVERYONE (party of 45) slowly started getting them and even getting more than one even up to three. We were so busy greeting and entertaining we didn't notice. Well those things were $6.50 a pop. We spent $700 on coconut juice (neither of us had one).

I was beyond irritated. They knew EVERY little thing was an extra charge but didn't care.

That was 4 years ago but it still rubs me wrong.
Quoting Zoiksandaway: super rude of those folks you took out.

i reminds me of situations in a bar. Someone kindly buys a person his or her's next drink, or maybe even a drink for everyone in the bar, and there is always a doofus asshole amongst the recipients who, instead of ordering another beer like they were drinking, will use the other person's generosity as an excuse to purchase something thrice the cost.

It is the basest most ignorant example of human greed.

I am sorry that you have such losers in your family. But you are very kind to have tolerated their extravagance on your nickel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
young_lv_mom
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Is there a way to tell them they have $30 limit and anything over is on them? Sorry they were rude. When some one else pays I order what I would normally get and no I thing more.
soljawife
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:02 AM
If you don't mind me asking...how much did you end up paying?
Supervane
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:07 AM
No, I try not to waste money or food on purpose even if it's not mine
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN