Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding in the middle of the night

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:41 AM
  • 8 Replies
So when I feed in the middle of the night my baby girl seems to only be able to feed from one side. It doesn't matter how long she eats once she comes off that side she won't switch over. The other side tends to feel pretty full. I don't know what I should do. I'm usually pretty tiered so I don't want to have to bust out my pump. But I've asked a couple of LC's and they just confuse me further. One said to pump and empty out my breast and the other said do not pump unless I'm in pain and need relief. And the to only express or pump a little. Will it kill me not to pump?
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MixedCooke
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM

BUMP!

MixedCooke
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Kinda better to empty both. You don't want to wind up lopsided!
newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM

What if you switch her after a while? Or just feed her from the other boob at the next feeding? I used to do both. Sometimes I did have to pump the boob if it were so full it hurt.

307mama
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I switched sides with each feeding, i did feel full at first but I've leveled out now. He still only eats from one side but we cosleep and that side is easier for me to feed with while laying down. But I make sure as soon as he wakes up he eats from the other side. I've not had lop sidedness and I actually seem to produce more from the side he doesn't feed from when I pump.
LilMexi
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Ya it have been switching sides at each feeding but she can go 4 to 5 hours between feeds and if I'm doing every other I was worried about one boob being so full. I guess I'm just worried about clogs because I've had a few before and they are no fun
LilMexi
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Ya it have been switching sides at each feeding but she can go 4 to 5 hours between feeds and if I'm doing every other I was worried about one boob being so full. I guess I'm just worried about clogs because I've had a few before and they are no fun
mommyofblueyes
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM

My daughter only preferred to nurse from one side, so when they other was too full, I would just get a towel, and hand express some for relief.  

ditsyjo
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

it will not hurt you to feed one side one time and the other the next.... your body will get used to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)