Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

money question...

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 10 Replies
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I need advice. How can I make my dollar stretch further? My families income is roughly $2225 per month. Our rent is $1025, our utilities are roughly $50 per month. Our gas is roughly $250 per month and food is roughly $500 (family of 5 plus I'm pregnant). Our other various bills are roughly $1000 per month. We are constantly in the whole. We don't have luxuries like internets or cable. Both adults have cell phones but they are prepaid $50 per month per phone (included in various other bills) I've tried coupons but I can't ever find them for the products I buy. I shop at the dollar store mostly (except for food) and Costco if I find good deals (my husbands on his dads account so we don't shell out the $50 per year) Someone please help me... We are currently negative over $230 and have nothing in savings. =( I'm so ashamed of myself... I want to work but with 3 (soon to be 4) daycare costs I can't find a job that pays enough to put the kids in childcare. I found a job that pays more than dh job but he's hell bent against staying home with the kids and knowing how cranky he gets when he gets a few days off work I don't want him home alone with the kids 5 days a week. HELP!!!!
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The.Last.Rebel
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM
What are your other bills that are a thousand a month!? I'd cut whatever I can there.
RADmomma
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree!!

There's places to cut!!

Sit down & write down every bill you have. When bills are not a set amount I budget for the highest of the last 3 months bills.

If u have a home phone & cells... Drop one

Cable tv? Drop some channels, drop it all together & just stream Hulu or Netflix

Eat out often? Don't. Cook at home. Or go for lunch instead of dinner. It's cheaper.

Drop a entertainments & other not NEEDed expenses for a few months to get out of the hole.

What are you including in various for $1000 if utilities & cell are listed separately?

Quoting The.Last.Rebel: What are your other bills that are a thousand a month!? I'd cut whatever I can there.
we-r-up-to-4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Between the two of us we have credit card loans that total approximately $400 per month, our phones are $100 per month (total), storage fees (we are working towards getting things out of storage and either selling it or putting it in our home but dh has 3 huge storage lockers and our place we rent is only a small 3 bedroom with 5 soon to be 6 people living here. There's more but I can't think of them right now...

Quoting The.Last.Rebel: What are your other bills that are a thousand a month!? I'd cut whatever I can there.
we-r-up-to-4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM
The phone is included in the various bills.

Quoting RADmomma: I agree!!

There's places to cut!!

Sit down & write down every bill you have. When bills are not a set amount I budget for the highest of the last 3 months bills.

If u have a home phone & cells... Drop one

Cable tv? Drop some channels, drop it all together & just stream Hulu or Netflix

Eat out often? Don't. Cook at home. Or go for lunch instead of dinner. It's cheaper.

Drop a entertainments & other not NEEDed expenses for a few months to get out of the hole.

What are you including in various for $1000 if utilities & cell are listed separately?

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM
We are a family of 8 and I can feed this heard for under a 100$ a week. Without coupon cutting. I do allot of shopping at Walmart. Its fairly cheap if you buy the great value brand. You buy meat in bulk and use it for more then one meal. I also do round 2 dinners. Make a meal then use what you can for another meal. Make all of our bread by scratch. Cheaper and healthier. Tortillas too. If my kids.are home and dont want sandwiches for lunch, we.eat leftovers.
we-r-up-to-4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Do you meal plan? If so would you mind sharing a sample week?

Quoting DallasCowboys81: We are a family of 8 and I can feed this heard for under a 100$ a week. Without coupon cutting. I do allot of shopping at Walmart. Its fairly cheap if you buy the great value brand. You buy meat in bulk and use it for more then one meal. I also do round 2 dinners. Make a meal then use what you can for another meal. Make all of our bread by scratch. Cheaper and healthier. Tortillas too. If my kids.are home and dont want sandwiches for lunch, we.eat leftovers.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Yes I do simply because I was tied of hearing, what's for dinner every 2 min lol. Since my kids are all in school I only do it for dinner. But here is what is on the memu tbis week.

Momday: shepards pie, using pulled pork for the meat so I can get rid of it. (round 2 meal)

Tuesday: Orange chicken. Rice amd stir fry vedgies

Wed: breakfast burritos . Have left over bacon from last week i need to use. ( round 2 meal )

Thur: Chicken and dumplings. Using the chicken I disnt use for the Orange chicken for the soup.

Friday: Tacos, Spanish rice, mixed vedgies

Saturday: Hambuger helper rest of hambuger from the tacos, vedgies and garlic bread. I buy the garlic bread sprinkle and use bread that will soon be bad and make my own garlic bread.

Sunday: is.always leftover night. That way we get rif of what is in the fridge that I cant reuse the following week and cleans the fridge too.

Quoting we-r-up-to-4: Do you meal plan? If so would you mind sharing a sample week?

Quoting DallasCowboys81: We are a family of 8 and I can feed this heard for under a 100$ a week. Without coupon cutting. I do allot of shopping at Walmart. Its fairly cheap if you buy the great value brand. You buy meat in bulk and use it for more then one meal. I also do round 2 dinners. Make a meal then use what you can for another meal. Make all of our bread by scratch. Cheaper and healthier. Tortillas too. If my kids.are home and dont want sandwiches for lunch, we.eat leftovers.
we-r-up-to-4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I love your idea to use leftovers in other meals. we don't usually have leftovers though. If we do its like pizza (which we only get once every 6 months or so)
we-r-up-to-4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM
The other issue is that my family prefers to snack. We hate cooking so we snack A LOT. That's most of our food budget. I want to change that but dh doesn't want to, or at least he's no help with it. I won't buy snack foods (or only minimal so the kids have some) then within a day or two we are out and either he goes and buys more or he turns into a jerk always complaining he's hungry but we have no food until I cave and buy more.

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Yes I do simply because I was tied of hearing, what's for dinner every 2 min lol. Since my kids are all in school I only do it for dinner. But here is what is on the memu tbis week.

Momday: shepards pie, using pulled pork for the meat so I can get rid of it. (round 2 meal)

Wed: breakfast burritos . Have left over bacon from last week i need to use. ( round 2 meal )

Thur: Chicken and dumplings. Using the chicken I disnt use for the Orange chicken for the soup.

Saturday: Hambuger helper rest of hambuger from the tacos, vedgies and garlic bread. I buy the garlic bread sprinkle and use bread that will soon be bad and make my own garlic bread.

Sunday: is.always leftover night. That way we get rif of what is in the fridge that I cant reuse the following week and cleans the fridge too.

Quoting we-r-up-to-4: Do you meal plan? If so would you mind sharing a sample week?

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM
That is a huge cost. Snacks are very expensive. I bake allot not sure bout you. So every now and then i buy choco chips and make cookies. My kids dont eat allot of sugar, we dont allow it. My 12 yr old is ADD/Autistic if hhe has sugar he is way hyper. They eat allot of canned fruit but I wait for case lot sales and buy it in bulk. We do buy chips occasionally or I again make my own with the tortillas.... Its so much cheaper to do things at home then to go buy. Plus better for you since you control salt and sugar intakes. We buy frozen juice or no name brand crystal light juice that you make in a pitcher for the kids when they want juice..

Quoting we-r-up-to-4: The other issue is that my family prefers to snack. We hate cooking so we snack A LOT. That's most of our food budget. I want to change that but dh doesn't want to, or at least he's no help with it. I won't buy snack foods (or only minimal so the kids have some) then within a day or two we are out and either he goes and buys more or he turns into a jerk always complaining he's hungry but we have no food until I cave and buy more.

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Yes I do simply because I was tied of hearing, what's for dinner every 2 min lol. Since my kids are all in school I only do it for dinner. But here is what is on the memu tbis week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)