Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

opposite shifts question

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM
  • 14 Replies
My dh starts work between 4:45 pm and 9 pm and gets off anywhere from 12:45 am and 5 am Thursday-Tuesday unless he gets overtime. We need more money. I'm thinking of getting a job Monday - Friday 8:30am-3:30pm. It would make it so we don't need child care. (We have a 7 year, 4 year, 18 month old and I'm pregnant due between July-August. Do you think dh will get enough sleep to care for the younger two? The 4 year old will be in preschool and the 7 year old all will be in school.
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM
No he won't get enough sleep. I worked 12 hr nights for years, and attempted to care for our children so we wouldn't need child care. I felt ill all the time, and ended up switching to day shift. I'm a SAHM now. Sometimes opposite shifts are not as good as we think they will be.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I think the only way it'll work is if your 18 year old is a good napper so DH can nap too. Even then, it'll be tough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Maybe daycare for the baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:59 PM

That is what my DH and I do, kind of.  I work part time (7am-1pm) then he works anywhere between 2pm-2am (9-10 hour shifts)  I'm off Saturday and Sunday and hes off Tuesday and Wednesday.  It works for us.  My kids are 5, 3 and 13 months.  During the school year he gets up and gets our son on the bus and then gets DD breakfast and puts on a Little Einsteins video.  DS2 tends to sleep a little later for him.  Talk to your DH and see how he feels and go from there.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
we-r-up-to-4
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:26 PM
He says he will be fine and wants to do it. I'm the hesitant one. When dh doesn't get enough sleep he gets grumpy then doesn't think before he acts. He's never been abusive, but he does get a little harsh...

Quoting shortyali:

That is what my DH and I do, kind of.  I work part time (7am-1pm) then he works anywhere between 2pm-2am (9-10 hour shifts)  I'm off Saturday and Sunday and hes off Tuesday and Wednesday.  It works for us.  My kids are 5, 3 and 13 months.  During the school year he gets up and gets our son on the bus and then gets DD breakfast and puts on a Little Einsteins video.  DS2 tends to sleep a little later for him.  Talk to your DH and see how he feels and go from there.

shortyali
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Mine too. I think what helps his mood is he knows on my days off he can sleep in some.

Quoting we-r-up-to-4: He says he will be fine and wants to do it. I'm the hesitant one. When dh doesn't get enough sleep he gets grumpy then doesn't think before he acts. He's never been abusive, but he does get a little harsh...

Quoting shortyali:

mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Give it a try and see. Good luck!!!

MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM
This. I worked nights for almost a year. It was miserable for all.

Quoting toopicky429: No he won't get enough sleep. I worked 12 hr nights for years, and attempted to care for our children so we wouldn't need child care. I felt ill all the time, and ended up switching to day shift. I'm a SAHM now. Sometimes opposite shifts are not as good as we think they will be.
vash1977
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

No, he won't always, but, you do what you have to do. I worked nights with a toddler still at home, and it was rough, but it's what we had to do. Good luck.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM

My hubby worked 6am-5:30pm. I worked 6pm to 10pm. It worked for us because I was only part time and we both still got to sleep in bed together

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)