Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of people looking?

Posted by   + Show Post

A couple came into my office a little while ago looking for an aparment. I was unable to help them because they didn't meet the income. The husband/boyfriend stated that he has been looking for the past year but no luck. He girlfriend/wife give him the evil eye and stated "Unemployment is not due to the lack of jobs but lack people looking".

She then went on to say everywhere they have gone, they have been denied due to lack of income. I explained to her that most housing communities requires 3x the amount of rent to qualify. They took all of my information and left but it had me wondering.

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of poeple looking?

What are your thoughts?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
caligirl7613
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM
i think its a bit of both honestly. and also, when on uneployment your supposed to show proof of putting in a certain amount of applications per week...so many apps are online now, and if you dont pass the "personality" test your app doesnt even go to the hiring ppl it just gets junked from their system...unemployment may call and check...but really has no way to, because you may have filled out the app, but the company may have tossed it......i HATE online apps.

Quoting cranky_anthony: I wouldn't say lack of looking. I'd say lack of effort. If you want a job you will get one. You will find a way to get childcare figured out. You will work whatever hours necessary. And you will apply for anything. I hate when people make excuses for being jobless. Unless you are diabled or a convicted felon, then it shouldn't be that hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Both, my DH was unemployed for over a year. He has a bachelors in biology, and was willing to take any job. However, most lower end jobs told him he was over qualified, yet there were no jobs in his field. He took side work where he could, until a company final took a chance and hired him. It was for appliance repair, and they even sent him to a three week training program.
There are so many out there looking for jobs, and not enough positions for them(at least in our area). However, I also know people who are unemployed Azande not looking/not willing to take jobs they feel are "beneath them".
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:56 PM
I think it both to be honest.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Having been out of work for over a year, I can say it was a lack of jobs. I finally found one last April and it seems to me there are more jobs now. I'm in Philadelphia.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandallyn
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM
This. DH and I both couldn't even find work at the local Wal-Mart. Outs not for lack of trying, they just aren't there in this small town.

Quoting marlese:

I honestly feel that the unemployment issue is due to lack of jobs especially in the white collar sector. Many of these high paying jobs have disappered and have not been replaced. Let's not forget about the great recession that we are still experienceing.We still have not gained the jobs lost fromt this period in time.

It has been reported that for every 1 job opening there are 3 qualified candidates actively seeking a position. You have lawyers, engineers, accountants, amoung many other professionals looking for jobs. The only jobs that are plentiful would be low paying jobs such as retail and fast food jobs.

When corportations realize that employing overseas is more detrimental to our economy then we will be in this continuous unemployment crisis. People must also realize that they may have to make their own companies opposed to waiting to get hired for jobs that may not pay the bills.

Firenygirl180
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Where i live its that people don't want the jobs that are available. I've seen a lot of posts on the local sale pages about people looking for work and how they can't find anything in this town. Then a guy posts a job listing at the local prison and no one wants it, at $11/hr sign me up, because it's at the prison.

If i could work there right now I'd apply, but i can't for at least 8 months. For now I'm staying home with the kids because minimum wage isn't worth the family time i miss.
superdivamom727
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:49 AM
I say both to be honest !!! There's not a surplus of jobs and there is just some LAZY people who just love living on the welfare system... however there is a growing number of people with degrees who just REFUSE to settle for a 8.50/hr job... and thats the category I fall into. .... even though I need employment I do have a bachelors degree in biomedical science with a minor in public health and physics and I refuse to work for 8.50//hr and Wal-Mart ... I know here in Atlanta the unemployment rate is at 10% which is really high for a city ... I believe at the height of the recession the unemployment rate reached 10% or higher and a lot of people were out of jobs. But i took a year off from work to take care my lil one but now I'm ready to get out there again . :-D
baxter386
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Both. I have been looking for 15 months and I have had a few interviews where I thought I could get hired then nothing. I also was in training for about a month at a Call center, but because I could not pass their assesment test I was let go.  It would be nice for someone to give me the time and give me a job, my unemployment ran out and right now I have no income coming in and I am stretching the last of my money.  There are some lazy people out there milking the system and it pisses me off. People like that make people like me look bad and I am not lazy at all.

Kelly1776
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I think a lot of people just cant find or get the job they want. but they can get one, It may not be what they want or even the money they want but  something is better than nothing. maybe they are lazy....

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I see people turning down jobs every day. But you have to be willing to work harder than some people want to, and for less money. My dh retired last year, and he found a part time job 2 weeks after he started looking. They want him to work full time. No, the pay isn't great, and the hours are terrible, but it's enough to help us through some slim money days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)