Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of people looking?

Posted by   + Show Post

A couple came into my office a little while ago looking for an aparment. I was unable to help them because they didn't meet the income. The husband/boyfriend stated that he has been looking for the past year but no luck. He girlfriend/wife give him the evil eye and stated "Unemployment is not due to the lack of jobs but lack people looking".

She then went on to say everywhere they have gone, they have been denied due to lack of income. I explained to her that most housing communities requires 3x the amount of rent to qualify. They took all of my information and left but it had me wondering.

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of poeple looking?

What are your thoughts?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
AMom29
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Both.  

Also, more places are also denying people jobs because they've been out of work for so long.  Seems counterproductive to me.

treeswallow
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM
In my case everywhere I have looked for work so far, I am either over or under qualified. I am stuck in some weird limbo...
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Some of both.

jmonier
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM

The numbers sate that there are roughly 3 times as many people looking for jobs as there are jobs available.  After that there are a lot of variables.  Is it someone who does not have a skills match?  My husband needs to learn a new set of skills if wants a new job, for instance.  Sometimes it is location, location, location.  I am lucky living in MD where there are many types of jobs available and many resources to find or learn new skills.  That is not the case in many states.  Then think about a place like Detroit.  While other car companies are opening factories on other states, a couple with an underwater mortgage and kids in school have to decide if they are willing to ruin their credit on hte off chance they can get a job in anew state or hold out hope they can find one where they live.  Then will it pay as much?  At the end of the day there is no one silver bullet answer and so much depends on individual circumatances and the state a person lives.  Be very wary of those unemployment numbers which do not accurately reflect those who have fallen completely out of hte work force, those who are underemployed, etc.

LaffItUpFzbl
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Depends on where you live. My brother tried to find a job, any job, here in Illinois for 3 years. Nada. Moved to Austin and got a job in his desired field, making close to what he made before he got laid off within a few weeks. For those of you saying that you can just go get a fast food job, some people can't. A manager could tell from my brother's application that he would only be there until he got a decent job. He never got a call back. My nephew, on the other hand, with a GED and a poor work record had landed (and lost) 3 fast food jobs in that time frame.

ladymaleficent
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My store has been hiring for months we were short handed during the christmas season,2 job fairs and very few showed up.my husband has been looking for a sou chef for months he cant get anyone to apply...in our area jobs are there people are lazy and not looking, much easier to ride the system...
cupcake_mom
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Both. Most of people don't want to take a min wage job, 1. Because you can't live off of 7.25 an hour even if it is 40 hours a week. Which where i am most min wage jobs are only part time anyway. 2. You have to work 2or 3 jobs at min wage to make it worth anything.
But also min wage is better than nothing. And for some reason its easier to get a job when you have a job. My df has gotten 3 job offers since he started this job lol.
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Quoting cranky_anthony: I wouldn't say lack of looking. I'd say lack of effort. If you want a job you will get one. You will find a way to get childcare figured out. You will work whatever hours necessary. And you will apply for anything. I hate when people make excuses for being jobless. Unless you are diabled or a convicted felon, then it shouldn't be that hard.

I have to call bullshit. A friend of mine has been a restaurant manager since 1991.  She had restaurant experience going back to 1977. Never less than 4 years at any job.  12 years at one job.

She was laid off by a restaurant chain that laid off 40% of their managers in one year. ALL of those managers were over the age of 45 (and thus the highest paid)

She looked every where-averaging 2 applications a day. She looked within a 50 mile radius of her home and was willing to work any hours (although she is a single Mom) She is not overweight, ugly or without personality. In fact she is a real dynamo at work and she aced every single management test she ever took (one guy told her he had never SEEN such high scores)

And yet... it took her almost 8 months to find a job. And she applied for server posistions and shift supervisior posistions.

She hd gone back to college and in order to TAKE the job she had to drop out and lost $2000.

She took the job.

So no it isn't laziness or not looking.  Frankly I think it was her age-and since she only looks about 42 or so, and her resume only goes back to 1986, it is logical to assume she was born in the late 70's (she is actually 54)

I htink they want younger managers.

shadowmoon
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:31 PM

It can be both.  Just depends on where you live and the types of jobs in your state.  I think a big issue is that all our factory type jobs are being sent overseas. If you have a college degree or even college credits there are places that won't hire you because you are 'over qualified'.  Not everyone can just pack up and move to another state to get a job.  Some people are just lazy and want to milk the system instead of working but not everybody is this way.  Some places simply do not have jobs available.  If you have a lack of employment then that will count against you as well as to whether you can get a job or not.  I"ve seen some places that want you to have a bachelor for secretary work.  These factory jobs we used to have were for those who dropped out of high school/college .  I think we need to bring back apprenctice ships and vocational trade schools as well. 

http://freedomborders.blogspot.com

Malissa1578
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I think it is a bit of both. Some people get complacent and only half look. And some people look and find nothing continually. I think it has a lot to do with whats available inb their prospective career fields.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN