Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of people looking?

Posted by   + Show Post

A couple came into my office a little while ago looking for an aparment. I was unable to help them because they didn't meet the income. The husband/boyfriend stated that he has been looking for the past year but no luck. He girlfriend/wife give him the evil eye and stated "Unemployment is not due to the lack of jobs but lack people looking".

She then went on to say everywhere they have gone, they have been denied due to lack of income. I explained to her that most housing communities requires 3x the amount of rent to qualify. They took all of my information and left but it had me wondering.

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of poeple looking?

What are your thoughts?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is a little of both.  Some people think they are "too good" to work at a certain place: fast food, retail, and such.

latashac
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM

They say that for every job there are 3 unemployed people so it is a definite lack of jobs. The jobs that are available most people still wouldn't qualify for homes. It is a reality that we have a growing number of people classified as working poor. It should be a oxymoron but it is reality. When I was unemployed a few years back I wouldn't accept some jobs because the unemployment brought in more money. Lots of people are in the same position now.

kiwiskiwi29
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I would say both. There are not very many jobs in some areas right now but there are also some very lazy people out there.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM
There is a skills gap. There are jobs out there, but no qualified candidates. And there are a lot of people out of work but no jobs for their skills sets. And it isn't always a matter of accepting less money or less experience - some jobs have education and license/certification requirements legally required.
LukesMom83
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Yes, this

Quoting browncoat: A bit of both, I would guess. I'm sure there are those that can't find anything, but I also think there are those who can't find anything that they want, and who pass up opportunities to apply for jobs that they find undesirable, or who are unwilling to take positions in another line of work.
Roadrage00
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Definitely a bit of both.. but several factors play in IMO:

1. Where are you located... some cities are doing very well (like DC, NYC, etc) and others are still climbing out of the recession (Detroit, Vegas, etc). 

2. What is the skill set of the person looking vs. what is available.  There might be 300 teaching jobs available in your area, but if your degree is in Nuclear Medicine that isn't going to be much help if all of those jobs are full.

3. Minimum Wage jobs - sadly, when people cite that there are "a lot of jobs available" in their area's.. many of them pay minimum wage or little above that.  For people who have college degrees and kids at home - some of them struggle with the idea of going to work for $8 per hour when child care & gas is going to cost that much anyway.  You're literally working for "nothing", because your check is spent before you even get home.

I think there are definitely situations where there are decent jobs available and people are lazy and just don't want to work.  But, there are also many areas where people are desprate to find a job that will pay them just enough for it to make sense for them to work.. but there literally is nothing available in their area.  I always assume i'm talking with the latter until they prove me otherwise. 

GMom2011
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I believe our government now makes it more lucrative to not work. Between the healthcare, the food assistance, free money, free phones, etc... that you're better off staying unemployed than getting a minimum wage job, or even a slightly decent paying job that makes you not qualify for assistance anymore, but you are still too poor to live without assistance. Higher paying jobs are hard to come by, and most people don't have the skills for them. So many are choosing to not take jobs they are offered because it wouldn't make them enough to get by, and they are financially better off staying on welfare.

Dependent on the government = votes... 

LukesMom83
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Nor do I blame them. We live in capitalism and just like if we don't like the price, we don't buy until it goes down. Of course there will people who will pay just like there are people who will work for pennies, it's usually temporary and eventually if the company wants quality work, they need to provide quality pay or do the work themselves.

Quoting Noni2319: A bit of both. And sometimes people get offers but turn them down because they want to be paid more.
wagners7
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I think it's a bit of both.  I have received unemployement benefits in the past when my husband pcs'd and I had to give up my job, but usually by the time I started to receive my benefits I was hired, so in my case, I was looking.  More recently though, my brother who is actually a Rocket Scientist has been out of work and can't find anything in his field.  Ran out of his benefits, ended up accepting a car salesman position.  Guess there aren't many rockets that need to be looked at???

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM

In my neck of the woods, it is people NOT looking and people being too picky with the offered employment. Jobs are out there. There is money to be made in all kinds of industry, if one desires the true employment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)