Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of people looking?

Posted by   + Show Post

A couple came into my office a little while ago looking for an aparment. I was unable to help them because they didn't meet the income. The husband/boyfriend stated that he has been looking for the past year but no luck. He girlfriend/wife give him the evil eye and stated "Unemployment is not due to the lack of jobs but lack people looking".

She then went on to say everywhere they have gone, they have been denied due to lack of income. I explained to her that most housing communities requires 3x the amount of rent to qualify. They took all of my information and left but it had me wondering.

Is unemployment really due too a true lack of jobs or a lack of poeple looking?

What are your thoughts?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Replies (41-49):
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM

So glad apts aren't based on income here.  Also depends where you live as to what jobs are available.

egrzesik91
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Both. I have sent in hundreds of applications and nothing in return when I call and ask about my status. It sucks.

working-girl
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Plain and Simple...

People would rather collect unemployment than take a position they consider to be beneath them.

That's all it is. The jobs are there. People just have too much pride to take them

deeharmonic
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM
It shouldn't be that hard, very true. But the reality is that it is that hard if not more so.

Quoting cranky_anthony: I wouldn't say lack of looking. I'd say lack of effort. If you want a job you will get one. You will find a way to get childcare figured out. You will work whatever hours necessary. And you will apply for anything. I hate when people make excuses for being jobless. Unless you are diabled or a convicted felon, then it shouldn't be that hard.
Bribriesmom
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM
I was laid off in June, have been applying for jobs daily. It depends on the type of work you're looking for. I'm just now getting calls for interviews because it's non-profit organizations new fiscal period; which means more funding. Just within a 3 week period, I've had 4 interviews. It is hard out there and wouldn't wish for anyone to lose their jobs and for those being insensitive there go visit a worksource center and see how desperate some of us are trying to find work.
LeKendria
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 5:41 AM
I was unemployed for next to a year a one point. I filled out apps. Like a mad woman and had the necessary experience i got two calls during that time. One that offered me a position that somehow disappeared and the one 7 months later that changed my life. I know a few women who had to turn down positions because they had no way to affors childcare and also had no babysitters. The situations vary.
lolita04
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM

think it's both ~

tiredmom29
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I think both I know people that was on it and would get out of jobs offered cause they didnt want to work or people who would work enough to get it and quit. I think its abused more then what people think

bhow
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM

With owning 2 business's between him and I, I have to honestly say both.

We know there are people out there that are in dire need of jobs and when WE NEED somebody to come to work we can't get them.  It's been that way for several years now.  People like not having to be responsible and are okay with just getting by.  It's like they get used to it and are happy where they're at in life.  Does that make them wrong?  Not really but it doesn't do the rest of the country any good either.  Being an employer we see things in a whole different world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)