Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do I have to report the accident?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM
  • 16 Replies
Some old lady hit our car on the passenger side door. She was at fault. There was a scuff on her bumper cover and it was bent in a bit. Not even body shop worthy. Our passenger door has a small dent and a gash in the paint. The car is drivable and I'd be happy just leaving well enough alone. The value of my car is less than the cost of the repair so they will junk it and I don't want to do that for a cosmetic problem.

Do I call the lady and tell her I don't want to claim anything? Her deductible will be more than the repairs anyway.
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Bump
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Up to u:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM

What state do you live in? Some state laws require reporting of all accidents resulting in damage, whether you're filing an insurance claim or not.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM
California.

Quoting Serabeth06:

What state do you live in? Some state laws require reporting of all accidents resulting in damage, whether you're filing an insurance claim or not.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I think California regulation is that you have to report any accidents within 10 days, whether you're filing an insurance claim or not. DMV says you even have to report accidents where you hit an animal. http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/accident-guide/

Quoting MissTacoBell: California.

Quoting Serabeth06:

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM
If the damage exceeds $500 I thought.

Quoting Serabeth06:

I think California regulation is that you have to report any accidents within 10 days, whether you're filing an insurance claim or not. DMV says you even have to report accidents where you hit an animal. http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/accident-guide/

Quoting Serabeth06:

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Ahh, I found it. It's $750 in damage or any injuries. I looked at the DMV front page, which says all accidents must be reported, whether you hit a parked car, animal, or another vehicle within ten days, but in their fast facts, it gives more details about "what" is a reportable accident. So you should be fine, I'd just check in with the courts and make sure the other party hasn't filed a police report regarding it.

Quoting MissTacoBell: If the damage exceeds $500 I thought.

Quoting Serabeth06:

Quoting Serabeth06:

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Well I know that she can't file a police report after the fact and she didn't file one at the scene. What gets to me is her damage is so minor and comparatively (after I actually saw the car) our damage is much more severe. But really I won't report it to the insurance company anyway because the cost of the damage exceeds the value of my car and the insurance company would junk it. So we're screwed and that sucks. If I really want it fixed I have to go to the junk yard and get a whole door. 

Quoting Serabeth06:

Ahh, I found it. It's $750 in damage or any injuries. I looked at the DMV front page, which says all accidents must be reported, whether you hit a parked car, animal, or another vehicle within ten days, but in their fast facts, it gives more details about "what" is a reportable accident. So you should be fine, I'd just check in with the courts and make sure the other party hasn't filed a police report regarding it.

Quoting MissTacoBell: If the damage exceeds $500 I thought.

Quoting Serabeth06:

Quoting Serabeth06:

md3mom
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM
I've never heard of an insurance company forcing you to junk your car, especially since the other person is at fault. They just give you a check for your damages. It's up to you what you do with the check and your car after that.
withsecond
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM
You can always call her and let her know you've decided not to do anything about it. You don't have to report it.
A young kid once backed into me. He was so upset anf apologetic. I felt bad and there really wasn't bad damage so I called him and told him I wasn't going to go through his insurance or anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)