Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

To soon to close schools or not. The up coming windchill warning in some areas

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

We live in Wisconsin.  Sunday the temps will drastically drop.  By night time we will be in subzero temps if I heard right on the news.  But Monday with windchills it could be up to 40 below. They were saying this on Thursday to start.  Friday school districts all around us have districts have cancelled school for Monday.  Isn't that a bit soon to decide that?  What if we don't get the bad cold. I can understand plenty of notice for parents.  So they can find alternate child care if they work.   Me don't have to worry about kids going to school.  My son is an adult living on his own.  He only worries about going to work.  His work only closes when the Court House closes. As his job has ties to the court house. I thought maybe they'd wait till Sunday evening to decide to close. When the bad cold starts getting here.  They said they'd play it by ear for Tuesday.  Monday I am calling dh's doctor.  Dh has an appointment Tuesday afternoon. To see if they are cancelling appointments or not.  We have had some issues with our car not starting in the cold this year. I am worried these bad temps might keep us home. 

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TallChic
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I dont think theres no getting out of this one.  They are pretty good about predicting temps like this.  Our school hasnt called off yet but Im sure they will.  Schools around us called off today.  Im still not sending my kids even if by some chance they wouldnt call it off.  windchills up here are supposed to be -50 to -70

waytomanykids10
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM

all I can say is brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am so glad it doesn't get that cold  here. The lowest I think our temperature has ever been is -12 F.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM

i'm in Nebraska and they already called off school for Monday, about an hour ago

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Ours tends to call of for anything. We've been cancelled because it was raining and MIGHT freeze.....with no other indications that weather would get bad, lol.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM
We have a 2hr delay. The superintendent sent out a one call.
LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM

i wish we had school monday! dd actually cried when she learned it was cancelled on friday and then again friday afternoon when we heard it was cancelled monday.

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM
We here in central Illinois have closed the schools for Monday and Tuesday and appointments I had for Tuesday have been cancelled. We have so much snow and weather way below zero that its not reasonable to go out unless we absolutely have to to go to work. Bought enough groceries to last until warmer weather so I don't have to go to the store for anything and there is a little store half a block from the house but I don't need to go there. Prepare for the cold this one is very unusual and it may take a while to get back to normal. The weather is tearing down our snow plows on the road, all kinds of electrical problems with the equipment, but they are doing their best. Please keep all animals inside except for ten minutes to do their business. Its not fit for man or beast out there.
withsecond
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM
Those temps are insane. Stay safe.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)