Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is This Safe?

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 37 Replies
My ground beef has a sell by date of Jan. 2nd. It's been sitting in the fridge. Never frozen. Is it still okay to eat?
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Whenever I have to ask myself this question, is it safe, I reluctantly throw it out. It is better to waste it than to take the chance of getting sick. 

This is from Womansday.com:  Even with a sell-by day a few days in the future, home refrigerators aren't adequate to keep ground beef more than a day or two. Ground meat has more surface area than not- ground, and will spoil faster. 

So taking all of this into consideration, I'd say toss it.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Damnit.

Quoting Bmat:

Whenever I have to ask myself this question, is it safe, I reluctantly throw it out. It is better to waste it than to take the chance of getting sick. 

This is from Womansday.com:  Even with a sell-by day a few days in the future, home refrigerators aren't adequate to keep ground beef more than a day or two. Ground meat has more surface area than not- ground, and will spoil faster. 

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I know. I had to throw out a nice ham a few months ago. But rather than wonder will we get sick, it is better to let it go. :(

Quoting shaunaleigh418: Damnit.

Quoting Bmat:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM
I could seriously cry over this. I thought I put it in the freezer. I seen the pack in the fridge but thought it was something else. :(

Quoting Bmat:

I know. I had to throw out a nice ham a few months ago. But rather than wonder will we get sick, it is better to let it go. :(

Quoting Bmat:

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:19 PM

:(   I'm sorry.  :(

Quoting shaunaleigh418: I could seriously cry over this. I thought I put it in the freezer. I seen the pack in the fridge but thought it was something else. :(

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting Bmat:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for saving me from food posioning, though!

Quoting Bmat:

:(   I'm sorry.  :(

Quoting shaunaleigh418: I could seriously cry over this. I thought I put it in the freezer. I seen the pack in the fridge but thought it was something else. :(

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting Bmat:

Razzbaby1988
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Smell it
Razzbaby1988
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
If it smells ok you should be good... But the 2nd was a while ago..
I think your best to go with Bmat on this one :) sorry for the waste I know the feeling. And meat is so expensive :/
RUSureUKnowMe
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Id throw it out. But im a big skeptic with meat to begin with. Its the last thing I grab in the store and goes in insulated bags for the trip home. It then instantly geta portioned wrapped and put in the freezer. If I dont do it that way ill end up throwing it away. Dh thinks im insane but I havent poisoned us yet lol
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Yes that is the sell by date.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)