Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Name to old fashioned?? *Edit* Have you named your child after a loved one?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you think of the name Lyle?

We are expecting boy #3. Lyle was my husbands grandfathers name who passed away about two years ago.  What do you think of older fashioned names?? We havent decided on this name for sure and don't really have middles picked out.

*Edit*  Ok, so naming your baby after a loved one. Whats it like, do you always think of the loved one when you use the name or when you look at your baby do you think of them? I like the idea of using his grandpas name, but I don't want to constantly be thinking about Grandpa when I am talking to my son? KWIM?

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Replies (91-99):
JILLYBEAN2362
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Lyle is an awesome name!!! I am a huge fan of old fashion names. I have a Syrus, Gwen and Walter.

withsecond
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM
We gave my oldest son his great grandfathers first name, as his middle.
With my middle son, we gave him my husbands grandfathers first name as his middle.
With my youngest, we gave him my fathers first name as his middle.
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I named my daughter after my best friend who died of cancer. No I don't always think of her when I say my daughters name. But I do sometimes. And she loves art just as much as my friends did so even though they aren't related I do so either see her in her. But I think it is a great tribute to name your child after a loved one. And i think Lyle is a great name and would be diffrent since it is not a common name. And it doesn't sound old fashion to me. 

brittybby2010
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I named dd after my great grandma. Actually, I took her middle name and made it DDs first. Gertrude wasn't too pretty lol. DDs middle name is my grandmas first name. Lina Joan (lee-nah joe-an).

Great grandma passed on before I was born, grandma passed on in 2008. I think of my grandma sometimes.

kellybean44
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I don't like it.

I don't like old fashioned names.

CarlyEliz
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM
My son is Frederick (first name) Tyson (middle name) we call him Freddie. Frederick was my grandpas ( dad's dad) name he died when i was a month old so I don't really think about him when saying my sons name. Tyson was other grandpas last name (mom's mom's second husband)
StephanAndCoral
by Stephanie on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM

My daughter, Coral Rose was named after my DH's Grandmother, CoraLee and mother, Rose. I wanted her to be named after family but wanted ehr to have her own name also. My DS is named Stephan Micheal my name is Stephanie and his dad's middle name is Michael  

mom23boys0206
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:19 AM

My son's name is Roman!!

Mrs.MikeC
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM
It's not my favorite old fashioned name, but it's cute. Dds name is Charlotte, Charly for short. The older crowd loves it. Younger crowd sort of makes fun of it and refers to the movie Charlotte's Web. You're not going to please everyone. As long as you like it;)

I've never named after a relative, but I think it wouldn't be a factor after a couple years. Ds will have his own personality and bring a different meaning to the name.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)