Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Bunting and car seats... Is it safe?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:16 AM
  • 9 Replies
I was told not to put my newborn son in a bunting because it wasn't safe. Apparently it would be easy for the baby to slip out of the car seat if there was an accident. It's been really cold out and I just can't imagine taking my little one out without a coat. Is it really unsafe?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
justbereal
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM
That's supposingly the new findings. Mine are teens now but I can honestly say I would bundle my son up vs not in this weather.
articmom
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:25 AM
That is the accepted doctrine now apparently but what should I do when its -30 outside ?? That is my question to them ?
cmjustice
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Very dangerous!

Bundle him up on the way to the car, but it needs to come off before he's strapped in.

The rule is that if you have to adjust the straps then the jacket/snowsuit is too thick. My son has had fleece snowsuits, then fleece jackets (one was even lined) that met this criteria. Cover with blankets or make a car seat poncho (google for tutorials), usually they're two layers of fleece but you could really put a layer of insulation in there too.

I'd just try to only take him out when you have to as well. Work, emergency, whatever.
cmjustice
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Keep them inside!

Quoting articmom: That is the accepted doctrine now apparently but what should I do when its -30 outside ?? That is my question to them ?
articmom
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
OMG so much easier said than done , its -10 -20 for a week at a time or more . I do my best to get the car warm at take off the top heavy coat but it sucks !

Quoting cmjustice: Keep them inside!

Quoting articmom: That is the accepted doctrine now apparently but what should I do when its -30 outside ?? That is my question to them ?
justbereal
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed. Not everyone can stay home 24/7.

Quoting articmom: OMG so much easier said than done , its -10 -20 for a week at a time or more . I do my best to get the car warm at take off the top heavy coat but it sucks !

cmjustice
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Dress in layers and use blankets and/or car seat poncho. Nothing unsafe about hats, mittens,boots. It's like 6 feet from my front door to the car door, so we just preheat the car and move quick to the car. It takes some adjustment but considering the nasty road conditions that come with the cold weather, it's well worth it for your LO's safety.

Quoting articmom: OMG so much easier said than done , its -10 -20 for a week at a time or more . I do my best to get the car warm at take off the top heavy coat but it sucks !

cmjustice
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM
I get that. My son is in school and I work full time. I just limit unnecessary trips. His school has been closed for three days though because of the snow and low temps. Delayed again tomorrow too.

Quoting justbereal: Agreed. Not everyone can stay home 24/7.

cmjustice
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN