Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are You a Neurotic Parent but You Don't Realize It?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM
  • 7 Replies

5 Ways You Are a Neurotic Parent & Don't Realize It

by Ericka Sóuter

mom and childNew parents worry about everything. Is my baby getting enough to eat, is he warm enough, is he happy. I used to constantly peer into my son's crib to make sure he was still breathing. I held my breath until I would see his little chest rise. I used to think, "God, just help me keep this little guy alive." I thought those concerns would subside as he got older, but now that he's five, I still find myself going into his room at night to make sure he's okay. I know I'm not alone. I've asked other moms about their neurotic habits.

1. You keep hand sanitizer in every room of your house. I have yet to meet a new mom who did not require every single person who help her baby to lather up with Purell first. This shouldn't necessarily be the case once a child hits the toddler years. In fact, doctors say our kids need some exposure to germs. So if you still require people to use it around your kindergartner, you might be a little too protective.
  2. You are years past the danger age for SIDS but you check to make sure your child is still breathing at night. 
  3. You make every single piece of food that goes in her mouth from scratch. Unless your child has severe food allergies, there really isn't necessary. Your child will survive is she eats a pre-packaged snack every once in awhile. I promise.
  4. Your still use a baby monitor for your 6-year-old. Ever heard of the phrase "cut the cord?" Do it. Literally. You don't need to monitor your child's movements all night. Giving them that little bit of independence is good for the both of you.
  5. Your grade school age kid still sleeps with you every night. I even met a mom who still allowed her pre-teen to sleep with them. I am all for the "family bed" but only up to a certain age. You can maintain family closeness in many other ways.

Sometimes it's hard to let our kids grow up, but it really is for the best. That said, I need to wrap up this post so I can go check on my sleeping son. LOL.

What are other signs that you are a neurotic mom?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Neurotic, no.  Cautious, yes. 

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:36 PM
I have 4 kids and I still check on everyone if I wake up at night...even the pets, but that is the only one of these I do
Mrs.MikeC
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM
If I didn't have dd#2 I'd still be like this with dd#1... After dd#2 came along I mellowed out.
we-r-up-to-4
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:06 AM
I was NEVER like that. I don't even require hands washed to hold a newborn (unless obviously dirty like when older kids play in the mud but I would have them wash their hands regardless...)
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:08 AM

I do check on my kids breathing at night sometimes but, dd has asthma and ds has different, congenital lung and trachea defect along with gerd that makes the breathing worse and a heart defect. The rest of them, no, lol. 

redbutterfly666
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM

i didnt and dont do any of that lol

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:10 AM

The only thing I'm guilty of is #5 and it's not because I insist on him being there (long story). We plan to work on getting him to sleep in his own bed this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN